Kyle Keller hired as SFA basketball coach

Former Texas A&M assistant coach Kyle Keller has been hired as the new head coach of the Stephen F. Austin men’s basketball team, the university announced Monday.

Keller will replace Brad Underwood, who recently accepted the Oklahoma State head coaching job after leading the Lumberjacks to an upset over third-seeded West Virginia and a berth in the second round of this season’s NCAA Tournament.

“Kyle brings a wealth of experience having worked for great coaches like Eddie Sutton, Bill Self and Billy Kennedy,” said SFA director of athletics Robert Hill. “This experience will fit well to continue our SFA basketball culture of winning championships and making NCAA tournament appearances. He cares deeply for his players and is a wonderful husband and father. We are so happy he has agreed to become a Lumberjack.”

Keller just completed his 25th season as a coach, five of which came at A&M. His career has included stops at Kansas, Oklahoma State, Louisiana Tech and Texas-San Antonio (UTSA).

This move marks the second exit from Billy Kennedy’s staff this offseason, as Rick Stansbury left the Aggies for the head coaching job at Western Kentucky last week.

Keller will take over a program coming off one of the best seasons in program history and in the midst of a terrific three-year run. The Lumberjacks have lost only one conference game in the past three seasons and will return two starters from last year’s 28-6 squad.

• Former assistant head coach Kyle Keller (right) will begin his first head coaching job in Nacogdoches. 

Photo by File