No one involved with Texas A&M baseball ever believed they were going to lose.  Despite being down 6-1 to Tennessee by the end of the...

Making the most of Ring Day

Photo by Photo by Annie Lui

Marketing senior Justin Martin’s mother presented his Aggie Ring to him on Sept. 21.

On Friday, more than 3,000 students will receive their Aggie Rings – a symbolic representation of the Aggie Network.
 Although the Aggie Ring has been around since 1889, the current tradition of Aggie Ring Day began in 2000. At this upcoming Ring Day, rings will be distributed at the Clayton W. Williams, Jr. Alumni Center from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Association of Former Students Vice President for Communications and Human Resources Kathryn Greenwade said students and guests can be better prepared for Ring Day by reading all emails they receive from The Association prior  to the event. 
“We want this day to be shared with people that are important to the students,” Greenwade said. “Therefore, there are no restrictions on the number of friends or family members willing to celebrate the Aggie Ring Day with the students.”
It is also important for students who will be receiving their rings to have all required documents. The Association’s assistant vice president for communications, Scot Walker, said students should have their ring tickets, as well as any two of the following: driver’s license, student identification card, passport or ring receipt.
“The ring ticket is what gets you and your family and friends into the building,” Walker said. “Students are encouraged to have a screenshot of their ring tickets and ring receipts on their phone because of a potential failure in internet connection. If you realize that you don’t have the required identification, talk to any of The Association staff. You are likely to be delayed, but we will figure things out.”
About 20,000 guests are expected on Friday’s Ring Day. For an event this large, parking options will be limited, especially around the alumni center.
Houston Street will be closed to traffic from George Bush Drive to the Moore Communications Center to protect Ring Day pedestrians. Greenwade said the best option will be to park in West Campus garage and catch the ring shuttle to the alumni center, though parking is also available in the Cain and Koldus garages.
“The shuttle starts running about one hour before the Ring Day starts, and it will go to about 45 minutes after ring distribution,” Greenwade said. “All of the buses used for the ring shuttle are ADA compliant, so if someone needs an assistance they will be able to access those buses.”
Walker said all students and guests should check the weather and plan accordingly for the event.
“Pay attention to the weather,” Walker said. “Not only for you, but for the sake of your families and friends. You will be standing for a long time and walking a lot. If it’s going to be sunny or raining, bring an umbrella and wear your comfortable tennis shoes. There is nowhere to get under the shade or a shelter from the rain.”
If students are unable to participate in Ring Day for any reason, they can get their Aggie rings any weekday after, Greenwade said.
“You can come by the Association office from Monday to Friday between 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. after the Ring Day and not before,” Greenwade said.
Walker said students should be patient on this special day because an event this large can be stressful.
“Remember that Ring Day is a great day, even if it’s not going perfectly for you,” Walker said. “You will still go home with a ring, and that’s a big deal. Even a bad Ring Day is better than just a bad any other day.”
All students receiving an Aggie Ring are expected to take the associated responsibilities seriously and uphold the core values of A&M, Greenwade said.
“Certainly, we want anyone that gets the ring to represent A&M well,” Greenwade said. “When you wear an Aggie Ring, you no longer represent yourself. You represent A&M and about 488,000 former students of A&M.”