Meet the Yell Leaders: Ben Ritchie

Ben+Ritchie
Ben Ritchie

Ben Ritchie, sports conditioning senior, started his second fall semester as a Texas A&M Yell Leader with hopes of using the position to talk about his faith.

Born in Austin, Texas, Ritchie moved around growing up but graduated high school in New Braunfels, Texas, which he considers his hometown. 

Ritchie said he first was introduced to the idea of becoming a Yell Leader at his New Student Conference, where he met then head yell leader Nelson Ingram.

“Some of the things he said really resonated with me,” Ritchie said. “Basically, God really used the Corps in his life to make him into the man that he is today, to mold him and shape him, and I wanted something like that.”

Being around yell leaders such as Ingram and Chris Powell during his freshman and sophomore years convinced Ritchie that he might be a good fit for it.

“I’m good with people, I like making conversation with folks and I really enjoy getting to know people, and we get the opportunity to do that,” Ritchie said. “Just encouraging people and making people’s days, and I like doing that stuff.” 

Ritchie said the one thing he’s most excited for this year is the new group of Yell Leaders. 

“This past summer has been a blast — I really love Chris, Will, Steven and Zach,” Ritchie said. “I love those guys to death. They’re all going to be in my wedding, probably. They’ve made a huge impact on me, and hopefully I’ve done the same for them.”

Ritchie said he wants Aggies to know the yell leaders are just regular guys, and no one should hesitate to talk to them.

“I don’t want people to think that we aren’t approachable,” Ritchie said. “I’m special because Jesus Christ died on the cross for my sins and that’s a truth for everybody else as well. I’m not some superhero. I’m human.”

Ritchie said he wants to be a strength coach for a college football team, or coach high school football after he graduates.