Meet the Yell Leaders: Chris Wilder

Chris+Wilder
Chris Wilder

Chris Wilder, economics junior, was born and raised in Dallas. While his first choice was to attend the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland, Wilder said it was a quick decision for him to come to A&M after his application was rejected from the Academy.
“I loved A&M all throughout high school through connections with friends and family,” Wilder said. “So I came to A&M, and I actually came in with the idea that I would re-apply to the academy — just because I didn’t want to leave that door closed.”
After his freshman year, Wilder said he was accepted into the Naval Academy and faced the decision to either leave A&M or attend the school he wanted to go to for so long.
“God called me to stay at A&M,” Wilder said. “It was just A&M, the culture, and the people and the fact that A&M is just so unique. And you can’t find a student body, an Aggie spirit and the core values and traditions like A&M has. It ended up being a no-brainer that I would stay here.”
Wilder said his position as a Yell Leader has been a blessing, and it is amazing to see the Aggie spirit in other people.
“Some of my favorite events are going to Aggie Moms Clubs over the summer and seeing how fired up Aggie moms are for their kids at Texas A&M,” Wilder said. “We’ll come across moms that have two kids that graduated in ’02 or ’03 that are still involved in the Aggie Moms Clubs, because they care about A&M.”
Wilder is contracted with the Marine Corps and plans to serve at least four years after he graduates from Texas A&M.
“I’m very much looking forward to service in the military for four years at least, and then I’m not really sure what God has in store for me, but if he has me staying in for four or 20, I’m fine with that,” Wilder said. “I’d love to eventually be a financial planner or financial advisor and maybe work with some non-profit organizations.”
Wilder said his advice for students would be to make the most of their experience would be to remember first and foremost they’re here for school.
“Other thing besides academics is get involved,” Wilder said. “A&M is a big campus, 56 thousand students here, and getting involved not only helps it become a smaller campus but also makes it become a friendlier campus because on your way to class you may see three or four people you know.”