Meet Yell Leader Steven Lanz

Photo by Photo By: Tim Lia
Yell Leader:Steven Lanz

When he was first encouraged to run for Yell Leader, Steven Lanz wasn’t familiar with the position. Several years later, however, he helps lead the 12th Man in support of Texas A&M’s sports teams as the only ‘non-reg’ member of this year’s Yell Leaders. 

Steven Lanz is a business finance senior from Carrollton, Texas, and a senior Yell Leader. Lanz is the only Yell Leader not in the Corps and is a first-generation Aggie. Lanz said he first considered the possibility of being a Yell Leader after the mother of a friend he played basketball with brought the possibility to his attention.

“[She] encouraged me and said, ‘Hey, you’d be great as a Yell Leader,’ but I had no idea what that was at the time,” Lanz said. 

After Lanz came to A&M, he said he spent his freshman and sophomore years getting involved, growing in his faith and experiencing college life. When the time came to run for junior Yell Leader, people encouraged him to consider it, but he decided to put his energy into working at Pine Cove Christian Camp for a final summer. 

“This last year, it was continuous, people encouraging me to consider it and look at it, saying, ‘You’d be great as a Yell Leader,’” Lanz said. “So I started to consider it more and I admired what the position was as leaders on campus and I aspired to be the guys that they are, upholding the core values, all around great men.”

After prayer and deliberation, Lanz said he thought it was something he would love to do and decided to go for it.

Lanz said his favorite thing about being a Yell Leader so far is hanging out with the other guys.

“They’re just great guys,” Lanz said. “Zach, Ben, Chris and Will are just outstanding men. I’m a ‘non-reg,’ and so it’s been interesting to learn more about the Corps, to learn more about how that’s impacted their lives.”

Besides this year’s group of Yell Leaders, Lanz said he loves the Midnight Yells and football games. 

While he said he isn’t completely sure about what his future will entail, Lanz said he’s interested in financial advising as a possible career path.