Meet your student government

Photo by File

Jake Smith is serving as chief justice of the Judicial Court.

J-Court

Jake Smith

‘I would like to see us have more of an influence on campus’

Jake Smith, chief justice of the Judicial Court, said he hopes to develop the legal skills of the court.

Smith said the J-Court is responsible for interpretation of laws and regulations.

“Judicial Court duties include constitutional interpretation [and] legislative interpretation,” Smith said. 

Smith said the majority of the court’s cases come from election regulation interpretation. 

“Every year all the Justices hope there’s not any cases, but that is just a fallacy. There will be, and that’s just the way it happens and that’s alright. That’s our job,” Smith said. “I mean we can wish that stuff doesn’t come up, because if stuff doesn’t come up, that means everyone got along, everything was clean and clear, and everything was done by the election regulations and the constitution — which is what we want — but the world isn’t always that perfect.”

Smith said ultimately he’s excited to build the future of the court and expand its influence on campus. 

“No one knows about Judicial Court. The only people that care are during election time for two weeks,” Smith said. “I would like to see us have more of an influence on campus, whether it be through executive committees, whether it be through those administration officials, etc.”

Executive Team

Joseph Benigno

‘We have a national spotlight in a way we have not had for a long time’

Student Body President Joseph Benigno said it is important to frame the goals of the upcoming year in light of the university’s forward movement. 

“I think the best way to get an overview of the goals is that right now I think we view Texas A&M as kind of headed into a new era. We have a new president, we have a new stadium, we have a new [Vice President of Student Affairs],” Benigno said. “I feel like we have a national spotlight in a way we have not had for a long time.”

Student government is also looking to build on traditions, Benigno said.

He said one project this year will be to allow the families of students being honored at Silver Taps to have the ability to attend the ceremony without financial worry. 

“Something we’re working on this year is we will be leading a fundraising effort to make sure that we as a university can reach out to families that have lost a student and would be attending Silver Taps but maybe would be concerned about the cost,” Benigno said. “From this year on forward we as a university want to say that we never want families to have to consider the cost to come and see the love and the care the Aggie family has through the tradition of Silver Taps.”

Student Senate

Aaron Mitchell 

‘Our goal for this year is to leave the student government and Texas A&M in a better place than we found it’

Aaron Mitchell, speaker of the Student Senate, has big ideas for this semester. From addressing the seal change to tuition and fees, Mitchell said Student Senate has an important role to play. 

“Kind of our goal, and one thing that I’ve spoken to senate a lot about, is building great relationships with our administration so that whenever we take suggestions to the table they carry more weight, so we’re going to be working a lot on that.” Mitchell said.

Mitchell said a lot of people don’t realize how much the Student Senate and student government in general do. 

“I think one thing that a lot of people don’t realize is that Big Event, Carpool, Aggie Muster, The Twelfth Can and Traditions Council are all parts of Student Government Association,” Mitchell said. “And they’re providing great services to Aggies all the time.”

Mitchell said this will be one of the best years for student government in a while. 

“I’m really, really excited for this year — I think we’re going to do a great job,” Mitchell said. “And our goal for the year is to leave student government and Texas A&M in a better place than we found it, and I think it’s going to be the best year in a long time.”

• Joseph Benigno is serving as the 2015-16 Student Body President

Photo by File
  • Aaron Mitchell is the speaker of the Student Senate.

Photo by File