Movies coming soon to a theater near you

Meaghan Groves, a freshman special education major, believes that going to the movies is no longer a cheap and inexpensive thing to do.
“I think that since there is only one theater in town, they definitely try to charge as much as they can,” Groves said.
Even though theater prices in College Station are up to $6.75 for adults on weekend nights, Groves does not let that deter her when she plans an outing to the movies.
“I’m probably going to see seven to 10 movies this semester,” Groves said.
Among the ones she looks forward to watching the most include the recently released “Along Came Polly,” “The Butterfly Effect” and “Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights.”
Groves said that although movie sequels are not normally her cup of tea, she is willing to make an exception for an 80s classic.
“I don’t like it when they make a sequel that tries to be like the original and fails,” Groves said. “(But) I saw the preview for ‘Dirty Dancing 2,’ and it looked good,” Groves said.
This spring, Hollywood will offer a buffet of different cinematic cuisines. From light romantic comedies to religious dogma, this season’s bill of theatrical releases promises a wide array of choices for theatergoers.
While college students work on their economic cost budget, they may find it helpful to take a peek at the coming attractions at their local cinemas.

January

According to movies.yahoo.com, the remaining weeks of January will have two stars of Fox’s “That 70’s Show” release a movie each on the same day. Jan. 23 will see the release of “Win A Date with Tad Hamilton,” a romantic comedy staring Topher Grace, and “The Butterfly Effect,” a science-fiction film focusing on time travel starring Ashton Kutcher.

February

This month’s attractions include the release of two sequels; “Barbershop 2” (Feb. 6) and “Dirty Dancing 2: Havana Nights” (Feb. 13). “Dirty Dancing 2” will feature a brief cameo from the original dirty dancer, Patrick Swayze. Other February releases includes the true story about the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey team coached by Herb Brooks, “Miracle,” starring Kurt Russell (Feb. 6), and “Fifty First Dates,” which will reunite “The Wedding Singer” co-stars Adam Sandler and Drew Barrymore (Feb. 13). On Feb. 25, Mel Gibson will unveil his much-anticipated and highly controversial film, “The Passion of The Christ.” Several work prints have already been screened for critics around the country. Film critic Harry Knowles of Aint-It-Cool.com stated on his Web site “this work print that Mel (has shown) is truly a remarkable and brilliant film as is.”

March

March: This month will witness the release of two remade cult-classic films. “Dawn of the Dead” (March 19) updates the 1978 zombie classic, while the Cohen Brothers will remake the 1955 film “The Ladykillers” (March 26), a heist flick staring Tom Hanks. Viggo Mortenson will star in “Hidalgo” (March 5), a movie inspired by the true story of a horse racer who competes in a race across the deserts of Saudi Arabia. Frankie Muniz returns to the big screen as a teenage spy in “Agent Cody Banks 2: Destination London” (March 12).
The Charlie Kaufman penned “Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind” (March 19) stars Jim Carrey as a man who attempts to erase painful memories of a failed relationship from his mind. Kevin Smith’s latest film, “Jersey Girl,” (March 19) stars Ben Affleck as single father Ollie Trinke. Affleck’s real-life on-again, off-again girlfriend Jennifer Lopez makes an appearance as Trinke’s wife. Seth Green and Alicia Silverstone join the Mystery, Inc. cast in “Scooby Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed” (March 26).
Yet another 1970s television show will be turned into a film when Ben Stiller and Owen Wilson ride into the retro-cop role of “Starsky and Hutch” (March 5). Will Ferrell, Vince Vaughn and Snoop Dogg will make guest appearances.

April

Two films based on super hero comic books will be released in April. “Hellboy” (April 2) stars Ron Pearlman as a demon sent to earth during World War II who chooses to fight evil for America as a paranormal investigator. Thomas Jane stars as the killer vigilante “The Punisher” (April 16) in the movie by the same name. John Travolta co-stars as a Miami crime boss.
For those viewers who would rather have a laugh than be awed by a superhero, Ben Stiller and Jack Black team up with Christopher Walken in the comedy “Envy” by Academy Award-winning director Barry Levinson. Stiller becomes jealous when his friend Black strikes it rich with his invention, Va-Poo-Rizer, a spray that makes dog droppings disappear.
“The Whole Nine Yards” duo Matthew Perry and Bruce Willis team up again in the sequel to their 1999 hit, aptly titled “The Whole Ten Yards” (April 9). Willis plays a hitman who must protect a dentist (Perry) once again.
After a four-month delay, “The Alamo” will finally be remembered April 8. Billy Bob Thornton and Dennis Quaid star as Davy Crockett and Gen. Sam Houston respectively. The Rock and Johnny Knoxville co-star in “Walking Tall” (April 9) as two men who take it upon themselves to clean up their small town of the crime that has infested it. “Walking Tall” is a remake of a 1973 film of the same name, which was in turn based on a true story.
On April 15, Uma Thurman will return to her task to “Kill Bill” in the second installment of Quentin Tarantino’s violent epic. Stephen King’s novella, “Secret Window, Secret Garden” will be adapted into the “Secret Window,” starring Johnny Depp (April 23). John Turturro co-stars as an eccentric man who claims a writer (Depp) stole his idea for a story.
Denzel Washington stars in “Man on Fire” (April 23) as an ex-marine hired to protect a young girl played by Dakota Fanning, while Julianne Moore and Pierce Brosnan star in “Laws of Attraction” (April 30), a romantic comedy about a relationship between lawyers.

May

Hugh Jackman will put down his Wolverine claws to portray another famous literary character, “Van Helsing” (May 7). In the movie of the same name, Jackman must battle Dracula, the Wolf Man and Frankenstein’s Monster. May 7 will also see the release of Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen’s action comedy “New York Minute.”
May 14 marks the release of “Troy,” the adaptation of Homer’s epic poem “The Iliad.” Focusing on the Trojan War, the movie boasts an all-star cast featuring Brad Pitt as Achilles, and Orlando Bloom as Prince Paris. In a bit of irony, The Houston Chronicle reported that Brad Pitt hurt his Achilles tendon while filming the picture.
While the upcoming movie season may cause many Aggies to flock to the theaters to watch them, other students feel as if upcoming cinematic attractions don’t make the cut on their personal agenda. With grades and extracurricular activities back in session, many students will be strapped for time and money this upcoming semester.
Freshman engineering major Pricilla Garcia does not foresee herself going to many movies this spring semester.
“I don’t have time,” said Garcia. “Maybe one, but that’s just farfetched.” And as time and tide wait for no man, neither does the Hollywood machine.
For further information on these and other movies, visit IMDB.com.