Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Narrowing down admissions

Each new addition to the Aggie family receives a banner announcing their admission to Texas A&M.

Texas A&M is removing the academic admissions process in the fall of 2021.
Currently students can be admitted three different ways: rank in the top 10 percent of their class and be automatically accepted, be an ‘academic admit’ which requires students be in the top quarter of their graduating class and have a minimum SAT score of 1360 and a composite ACT score of 30, or they can be accepted though the holistic review process.
In the Fall of 2021, applicants will only be admitted if they fall into the top 10 percent or by holistic review. The decision to change the admissions process was made collaboratively by Enrollment Management, the Provost Office and the Office of Admissions. The change will allow much of the 2025 A&M freshmen class to be admitted through holistic review if they do not fall in the top 10 percent of their class. The holistic review will still evaluate a student’s class rank and test scores, but will also take into account a student’s application and essay, extracurricular activities, leadership roles, employment and experience in overcoming adversity.
Senior Associate Director of Admissions, Brandie Eneks, Class of 1993 said A&M continues to see growth in the number of applicants because of the wide percentage that get accepted.
“We continue to see an increase in the number of freshman applications to the university, as well as an increase in the number of students who qualify [for] automatic admission via top 10 percent and academic admission,” Eneks said. “Our goal is to identify well rounded students who are high achieving both inside and outside the classroom.”
Anthonette Ruffino, owner and executive director of Sylvan Learning Center in College Station said she does not view the change as eliminating anyone from the process.
“It will help [prospective students] to realize that there is a potential for them to go to college, but the bottom line is you need to have the academic skills to be successful and extracurricular involvement to be more mature,” Ruffino said.
Founder of Aggieland Tutoring and Class of 2011, Aaron Forester said prospective students should consider building a portfolio that makes it through the holistic review, in addition to their class rank and test scores.
“Those who are not in the top 10 percent need to compete a lot more vigorously,” Forester said. “I think it’s going to benefit both students and the university.”