Parents’ weekend to welcome thousands

Almost 100 years after its conceptualization, Parents’ Weekend will welcome thousands of families to Aggieland this weekend as a way to say ‘thank you’ and showcase A&M.
Parents’ Weekend has been an A&M tradition since 1919, when the Aggie Mother’s Club began visiting their sons in the Corps of Cadets annually for Mother’s Day. In 1969, the event was moved to the month of April to avoid conflicting with graduation, and eventually organizations began inviting all parents in the 1970s. This led to Parents’ Weekend as it is known today.
Parents’ Weekend is currently organized and coordinated by a student organization called the  Parents’ Weekend Committee within Student Activities. Alena Lerma, membership chair for Parents’ Weekend Committee, said the event’s main focus is to say thank you to Aggies and their families.
“Texas A&M Parents’ Weekend is one of the only family weekends in the country that is run by a student organization,” Lerma said. “We are honored and humbled to coordinate these events for you, and to act as ambassadors for the university during this weekend. We have been working very hard all year to plan and coordinate these events — all to honor and thank the families of our student body.”
Lerma said one of the main events to kick off the weekend will be Aggie Family Game Night, which will take place Friday from 7-9 p.m. in the Zone Club at Kyle Field and will feature an array of board games for families to play and live performances. The event will be followed by an Aggie Family Yell Practice at 10 p.m. in Kyle Field.