Pass it back, Ags

First Yell kick-starts this year’s football season at 8 p.m. Friday in Reed Arena. Comedian Brian Regan headlines the event, and several Aggie mainstays will showcase their organizations’ talents.
First Yell is a joint effort between current and previous yell leaders. Since First Yell’s debut in 1999, the event has always taken place during the first week of class. This date was chosen so that the majority of students could attend without worrying about schoolwork and exams.
“It’s such a great time to get people of all ages to come together and really start off the fall semester with a bang; the new students, the old students, everybody there out to enjoy the evening together,” said David Benac, head yell leader.
Sophomore cadet private first class Scott McDuffie of Squadron 20 attended last year’s First Yell, which included an act by commedian Bill Engvall.
“I grew up with his comedy and really enjoy how he makes light of real life events and makes jokes about them,” McDuffie said.
Senior political science major Mark Jessup also plans to attend this year’s First Yell.
“I am excited about seeing the student body come together and unite to support our team,” said Jessup, head drum major in the Aggie band.
Planning for this year’s First Yell began last fall when the yell leaders searched for the perfect main act. After much deliberation, they contacted Brian Regan and started working on a contract.
“He’s funny, he’s animated, he’s clean and that’s what I look for in a comedian,” Benac said.
Benac added that finding a suitable main act is not an easy task. They sought a comedian who is both appropriate and entertaining for all ages and work for a broad demographic. Benac said Regan is a natural fit.
“One of his personal lines is that he’ll never tell a joke that he wouldn’t tell to his kids,” Benac said.
Each year, several student groups are invited to perform at First Yell. This year’s lineup includes the Aggie Wranglers, Singing Cadets and Percussion Studio.
“We’ve always, in the past, tried to include various student acts just to display and feature some of our amazing student performers,” Benac said.
New students commonly mistake First Yell as an event meant for upperclassmen or one that they cannot afford.
“Everybody is welcome,” Benac said. “You can go to a concert or you can go laugh your head off for $15 with a bunch of your friends.”
Tickets sell for $15 at the 12th Man Foundation Ticket Center at the Kyle Field box office and the Reed Arena Box Office. Tickets may also be purchased Friday night at the door.
“I would love to encourage anybody and everybody to get out there,” Benac said.