Remembering the Bonfire 12

Nov. 18, 1999. The mention of this date sends chills down the spine and brings tears to the eyes of Aggies around the world. That day forever changed the lives of thousands of people. It changed lives not because of a stack of wood laying on the cold autumn grass but because of 12 young Aggies who were taken from the world.
This date will serve as a memorial for thousands of students, friends and families — a memorial not to a 90-year tradition but to fallen brothers and sisters. This will remain a day in many of our lives to reflect not on the tragedy but on the positive. That day is tattooed on Aggies’ hearts to remember the good times had with the 12 — not to weep for a lost tradition or to cry for their friends.
Vice President for Student Affairs Dr. J. Malon Southerland announced there will not be a University-sanctioned memorial for the victims of the Bonfire collapse. No Aggie ever will forget the events of that November night, but moving on includes not taking the time to remember our family. Looking back on the memories of another time — seeming like it happened yesterday, and feeling like it was another lifetime — the Aggie family will not be forgotten.
Students have moved on with their lives, yet carry memories close to the heart. As thousands of students stood cold in the middle of the night last year, hiding a candle from the extinguishing deluge of freezing rain, standing for the memories of the 12 victims. They stood for those who will never stand again.
Whether there is a University-sanctioned ceremony does not mean there will not be thousands of people who spontaneously show up in remembrance of the Bonfire collapse victims.
If students are planning to go to the Polo Fields in remembrance of their friends and family, the University should hold a memorial there, so that it can be done right. Because anything worth doing is worth doing right, the University should do what it can to make sure that there is a proper memorial service. To ignore the wishes and feelings of the students is to ignore the victims themselves.
A memorial is not just for the dead but for the living, as well. While there were only a few dozen physical victims, there were thousands of additional emotional victims. Students want to remember their friends and will do so, whether sanctioned by the University or not. After all, “there’s a spirit, can ne’er be told. It’s the spirit of Aggieland.”
No matter what the administration of Texas A&Mdecides, a candle should be lit to represent the burning desire of loyalty, friendship and remembrance that was lit within us all on Nov. 18, 1999.