Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Reveille reigns as queen of NCAA

Photo by Photo by Jenny hollowell

Biomedical science sophomore Jacob Scroggins started caring for Reveille IX during the summer. 

The highest ranking member of Texas A&M’s Corps of Cadets has been named best college dog mascot by the NCAA.
In celebration of dog ownership day on Sept.13, the NCAA counted down the best dog mascots in college football, and on the top of the list sat A&M’s mascot — Reveille.
President Michael K. Young made a statement in an email interview about Reveille’s recognition.
“For those who know and love Texas A&M University, it is no surprise that Reveille has been voted Best Mascot in the NCAA,” Young said. “Aggies everywhere share an incredible affinity for Reveille, as well as every time-honored tradition at Texas A&M. She is yet another example of what continues to make our campus truly unique.”
Similar to many traditions at A&M, Reveille has a humble beginning. In 1931, a group of cadets took in an injured dog on their way back from Navasota, according to Devin Lubin, human resource development senior and Traditions Council member.
“They weren’t allowed to keep dogs,” Lubin said. “The dog sleeps through the night, and then the next morning, when they blow [the bugle call] Reveille to wake everybody up, the dog starts barking.”
Lubin said after 30 of years of different dogs on campus, each given the name Reveille, the official mascot of A&M was adopted in 1960 in the form of a collie. The collie’s handler is always a sophomore in the E2 outfit of the Corps of Cadets, according to Lubin.
Like past mascot corporals, biomedical science sophomore Jacob Scroggins started caring for Reveille IX over the summer to create a bond. He said Miss Rev is more than a mascot to the student body.
“She represents the dog that everyone left at home,” Scroggins said.
Scroggins said he and other fellow cadets were enthusiastic at the NCAA’s decision.
“We were all really excited about it,” Scroggins said. “We weren’t really surprised because she’s the most well taken [cared of] dog in the world. So we were excited, but we weren’t surprised.”
According to Scroggins, when Reveille isn’t making appearances, she spends her time like any other dog would.
“She knows when it’s business and when it’s playtime,” Scroggins said. “So once we put the blanket on her, she’s all business, but then back in the dorms we play with her in the hall, so stuff like that.”
When she’s running down Kyle Field, according to Scroggins, Reveille never has any problem getting ready. She embraces the loud music and cheering crowd.
“I think she’s the best. I think she handles it really well and I think that she performs each and every Saturday,” Scroggins said.