Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Selfless service nation wide

Photo by Courtesy

Annual Alternative Spring Break (ASB) program provides students with a chance to volunteer around the country. Pictured: ASB members clean up trash during 2015 trip.

During Spring Break, A&M students will have the opportunity to travel around the country and assist communities in need through the annual Alternative Spring Break program.

Alternative Spring Break (ASB) is an organization within the Student Government Association (SGA) which engages in service projects in the Bryan-College Station area throughout the year and travels around the country to assist those in need over Spring Break. ASB splits into teams to take three trips every Spring Break, which are chosen at the discretion of the members. Students can choose from any of the themed trips available which typically include volunteering with animals, cleaning a national park, or a new trip is created based on members’ interest and majors. Trips will depart Saturday March 11 and students return to campus the following week.

This year, ASB will be volunteering at an animal rescue center in New Orleans, rebuilding homes in Oklahoma and restoring a National Forest in Arkansas, according to Blake Sokora, biological and agricultural engineering senior and this year’s Chief Student Leader for ASB. She enjoys the opportunity to go out and serve others.

“I think everyone should always do something with their spring break, and ASB offers students the chance to go on an exciting trip to somewhere new,” Sokora said. “I originally joined ASB because I saw that it was a good way to get involved and offered a really cool trip for me to go on for the break. Also, I think it says a lot that our members are willing to give up other trips or the chance to go home and relax to do volunteer work for spring break.”

Staff Advisor Trainer and biology junior Annie Montgomery said she is grateful for the experience Alternative Spring Break has allowed her to have.

“I think it’s important for students to participate in ASB because it develops leadership skills and instills the desire to give back to the community at an age where forming good habits is essential.” Montgomery said. “  I love to give back to the community through helping and volunteering in any way possible, so ASB seemed like the perfect fit.”

Alternative Spring Break not only allows students to make a difference, but also creates memories in the process, according to biomedical science junior and ASB Finance Executive Chau Dong.

“With Alternative Spring Break, students are able to have an impactful, rewarding and fun week,” Dong said. “Each trip is different and caters towards different interests. Participation in trips leads to memories as you will leave with at least 11 new friends at the end of the week and an experience in the city you are in. Ever since my first trip, the animal rescue in New Orleans, I just knew I found my home and met the most amazing, caring Aggies. ASB is my family!”