Sophomore OF Jace LaViolette (17) talks to Assistant Head Coach Nolan Cain during A&Ms games against Houston Christian University on Tuesday, March 26, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Searching for answers
Hunter Mitchell, Associate Sports Editor • May 11, 2024

Just a little over two weeks ago, Texas A&M baseball seemed to have everything going just right. Sitting at No. 1 in the country, the only...

SGA to host Aggies Got Talent show

The Student Government Association will kick off a new event in Aggieland come spring semester.
Aggies Got Talent will feature performances by students and a silent auction. The show and auction are new additions to the several initiatives SGA sponsors have started to supplement the organization’s endowment.
Before 2013, SGA’s Development commission organized a golf tournament. However, SGA Development Commissioner Gracie Wood said this event had not raised enough money to sustain the endowment, resulting in the dismissal of the nine irons and the beginning of a new search for ways to bring in revenue.
“Student Body President Kyle Kelly and I started to brainstorm a new event that could involve all corners of campus, support our fellow Aggies, be a positive reflection of SGA and be an event that could be held every year,” Wood said. “We believe a talent show and silent auction achieves all of those goals.”
The money raised will support organizations within SGA such as Big Event, Muster, Traditions Council, Carpool and other leadership and service organizations SGA entails, Wood said.
Claire Obeirne, biomedical science freshman and member of Traditions Council, said she likes that SGA will be raising money through the campus-wide talent show.
“It allows us as a university to offer our time to raise money for causes we as a student body think are important,” Obeirne said. “I think encouraging people to create acts and audition is a big part of it. I know there are a lot of Aggies out there with some pretty amazing talent that just need to get out there.”
Wood said organizers are now searching for more silent auction items, sponsors and judges continues.
The show will not consist of specific talent categories and is open to anyone looking to showcase their talent, whether they are singers, unicyclists, stand-up comedians or even stuntmen.
“We think this talent show is unique because it is all-inclusive across campus,” Wood said. “We think this could be a great platform for groups to get more recognition across campus while raising money that will go to support other invaluable organizations.”
Emily Carnes, business freshman and member of the SGA Development commission, said they have also begun reaching out to fine arts organizations and majors on campus, something that will be crucial to the success of the show.
“Since it is our first show, they’ll help us attract people,” Carnes said. “It will also showcase all the talented students we have at A&M.”
SGA has reached out to several dance groups along with students majoring or minoring in dance, Apotheosis, the Femmatas, stand up comedians and the Aggie Wranglers.
The event will take place Feb. 14. Wood said she hopes future students and their parents will be involved as the event coincides with Aggieland Saturday, an annual campus-wide open house for prospective students and their families.
Audition will be held Feb. 1 and Feb. 2. Links to sign up for auditions are open now.