Texas A&M infielder Ali Camarillo (2) thros to first during Texas A&M’s game against Louisiana at the NCAA Bryan-College Station Regional Final at Olsen Field on Sunday, June 2, 2024. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Camarillo, Aschenbeck selected by Athletics, Cubs to round out 2024 MLB Draft

Junior SS Ali Camarillo and senior LHP Evan Aschenbeck rounded out the 2024 MLB Draft for Texas A&M baseball on Monday as they were selected...

Sharp appointed chair of relief efforts

Photo by FILE

John Sharp has served as the Chancellor of the Texas A&M system for six years.

John Sharp, Texas A&M University System Chancellor, has been selected by Gov. Greg Abbott to lead a commission that will coordinate relief and rebuilding efforts in the many Texas communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
As chair of the Governor’s Commission to Rebuild Texas, Sharp will work closely with local officials and state agencies, ensuring that they have all the resources needed to rebuild critical infrastructure and revitalize the affected areas.
“Although the storm is over, the recovery process is just beginning, and it will require a Texas sized response,” Abbott said in a statement. “This new commission, led by Chancellor Sharp, will ensure victims get everything they need, and seamlessly provide resources to these devastated communities. Texas will not rest until this process is complete, and I thank Chancellor Sharp for his leadership on this commission.”
Abbott said the chair of the commission should have a keen understanding of a wide range of relevant subjects, including the Texas Gulf Coast region, state finance, the energy industry and engineering. An ability to collaborate effectively with local officials is also critical to the position.
“I found all of those attributes in a single person, John Sharp,” Abbott said at a Capitol news conference.
In addition to six years of service as Chancellor of the A&M System, Sharp has extensive experience as a Democratic politician and a personal connection to some of the communities most directly impacted by the storm.
“Raised near Victoria, he represented the region in the Texas Legislature for almost a decade,” the A&M System said in a statement. “He was first elected to the Texas House of Representatives in 1978 and became a member of the Texas Senate four years later. Sharp went on to serve in statewide office, first on the Texas Railroad Commission and later as the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.”
Sharp was elected to the Senate four years later. Sharp went on to serve in statewide office, first on the Texas Railroad Commission and later as the Texas Comptroller of Public Accounts.”
While Sharp will be continue to hold the office of Chancellor and will largely remain in College Station as he oversees the new commission’s operations, a statement from Abbott’s office said Sharp and Abbott will spend some time traveling to the affected regions, meeting with local officials and assessing the needs of each community.
“The road to recovery is going to be long, but Texans are a tough breed,” Sharp said at the news conference.
Sharp, who will receive no extra pay for his work, said efficient and responsible use of public funds will be a key focus of the commission.
“We are very cognizant of the fact that this money will come from taxes paid by hardworking Americans and we will treat it with the kind of respect and accountability that they deserve and expect,” Sharp said in a statement.
Amy Smith, A&M’s executive vice president of marketing and communications, said Sharp’s guidance will ensure that relief efforts are both timely and effective.
“Chancellor Sharp has answered the call to selfless service yet again,” Smith said. “He has a career reputation for fiscal responsibility and accountability, large scale program oversight, and also the heart of a Texan to help others. We’re proud of him. More importantly we know the people of Texas who are counting on these funds to rebuild their communities will see results because of his leadership and collaboration with others.”