Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

Small fire occurs in Kyle Field laundry

A fire in a Kyle Field laundry room is under investigation after a dryer filled with towels began to smoke Tuesday evening, said Lee Elkins, field training officer with the University Police Department.
Katheryne McGilvray discovered the small fire on the west side of Kyle Field at about 9 p.m. McGilvray, the assistant coordinator for the Twelfth Man Rewards Program, said she was entering the building when she saw smoke.
“I smelt it first,” McGilvray said. “I saw smoke, and it was hazy.”
McGilvray called film crew workers, who she said had the key to the room. A paramedic on site said the fire was in the laundry room.
Firefighters appeared to only use fire extinguishers in putting out the fire rather than a hose. They sprayed debris outside the building and entered the building as well.
The only damage appears to be to the dryer, he said. The dryer has been disconnected, and it will be removed Wednesday for investigation, Elkins said. Officials had to wait to remove the dryer so that it could cool off, he said.
Officials are currently working to remove smoke from the building before further investigation can continue, Elkins said.