Texas A&M catcher Jackson Appel (20) makes contact with a ball for a double during Texas A&M’s game against Tennessee at the NCAA Men’s College World Series finals at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Saturday, June 22, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Jones, Appel selected in sixth round of 2024 MLB Draft by Royals, White Sox

Junior RHP Tanner Jones and senior C Jackson Appel are heading to the big leagues after both were taken in the sixth round of the 2024 MLB Draft...

Someone has to pay for it

Oh yawn, another poorly thought out libertarian whine. I don’t know how many times I’ve read about high-income bedroom communities that feel they are overtaxed. They ignore the fact that the places where they work consume community resources and need to be paid for by someone.
I can almost guarantee you that a community that pays an average of $10,000 per person in state taxes has most of their residents working somewhere else, most towns of 1000 people can’t support more than one or two people at that income level.
I want to delve into the hypocrisy of someone who has spent 4 years at a state-supported university making a call to eliminate the very thing that he has taken advantage of. If he has some fantasy about his tuition and fees paying the costs of his education, he doesn’t have a clue as to what it costs to run a world-class university. I guess he feels some nobility in leeching off of society and then agitating so that he doesn’t have to pay his share.Yeah Mike, bold stance that is.
You see Mike, we have this little thing called civilization. One of the requirements is that every member is expected to make some contribution. A certain amount, maybe more than is done now, can be done by volunteer work.But the larger the number of people, the less practical this is. So a system of taxation is usually instituted to pay for it.
Now figuring out exactly what kind of benefits each individual gets from the system is real hard to calculate. The value of roads, police protection, a justice system, an educational system and other such infrastructure components varies a lot from person to person.What some of these wealthy communities ignore is that they consume resources above and beyond what their local community uses. If there is an injustice, well, that is why there are elections and the court system. Both of which cost money to operate.