Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) drives to the basket during Texas A&Ms game against Nebraska in the first round of the 2024 NCAA Tournament at FedExForum in Memphis, Tennessee, on Friday, March 22, 2024. (Kyle Heise/The Battalion)
How Tyrece Radford can catch the attention of NBA scouts

After 5 years of college basketball at Virginia Tech and Texas A&M, Tyrece Radford is furthering his athletic career with the San Antonio...

Student housing upgrades discussed

Texas A&M University is in the middle of an $800 million makeover. From infrastructure renovation on Ross Street to the construction of the Interdisciplinary Life Sciences Building, the University is working toward the goals of Vision 2020 one construction project at a time.
Proposed construction projects in the Campus Master Plan, developed in 2004, include Reed Arena Expansion, the Texas Transportation Institute State Headquarters and Research Building, Liberal Arts, Arts and Humanities Building and additions to the University Apartments complex.
On University Drive at South College, University Apartments covers nearly 80 acres and provides a home to hundreds of students and their families. Eighty-nine percent of tenants are international students and represent more than 50 countries.
Built between 1957 and 1980, University Apartments is in need of large-scale upgrades and repairs after years of use. To meet the demands of increased graduate student enrollment of Vision 2020, new and replacement University Apartments are needed as well.
The land housing the apartments and the plots around it bordering Hensel Park are considered by the University for other development purposes, meaning a relocation of the University Apartment buildings, TAMU Recycling Center and horticulture centers.
This week, discussions between stakeholders and the architects are to determine what concerns and needs must be met in the construction and utility of the new buildings.
HADP Architecture Inc., whose portfolio includes more than 1,500 designs of school and university projects, will head the construction.
Discussions on Monday and Tuesday included issues concerning the University Apartment’s relationship to the campus, surrounding development, site landscape and environment, traffic and pedestrian circulation.
Other sessions will focus on graduate student needs such as the physical issues relating to living in a graduate housing community including facilities, programs and activities. Security issues were addressed to ensure the design will bring about an environment of safety.
An important issue to stay in congruence with other campus construction will be campus sustainability and environmental awareness. The architects and stakeholders will discuss the opportunities for incorporating elements of sustainable design, including building standards that each new campus building must follow in construction.
Following the sessions this week, more details about the proposed design and construction of the University Apartments will be released.
The Campus Master Plan is intended as a guide for the physical development for the next 50 years to enhance the quality of campus life, while rorienting campus development policy to bring the physical environment to the same standards of the academic and social policies of the University.
Projects include conserving green space on campus, renovation of many buildings and the construction of others.