Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Light Middleweight boxers Francis Cristal and Frank Chiu throw crosses during Farmers Fight Night on Thursday, April 4th, 2024, at Reed Arena.
‘One day there’s going to be a ring in the middle of Kyle Field’
Zoe May, Editor in Chief • April 11, 2024

“Throw the 1, follow with the 2!” “Keep your hands up!” “Tie him up!” It was the sixth fight of the night. The crowd was either...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Student Senate honors wildfire victims, Aggie first responders

‘It hits home because we all know someone affected by a disaster in agriculture’
Koldus+Building
FILE
Koldus Building

Texas A&M student senators moved by the Smokehouse Creek wildfires created a resolution to commemorate the work done by Texas A&M volunteers. The Texas Wildfires Resilience Resolution passed unanimously on March 27.

Two off-campus senators, ecology and conservation biology junior Cody Sexton and animal science sophomore Landry Langley, authored the piece. Both decided to focus their legislative efforts on the largest wildfire in Texas history due to their connections to the region as well as their continued work in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.

The Smokehouse Creek fire covered over one million acres of land and destroyed over 500 structures. The fire burned from Feb. 26 until fully contained on March 16, and was located primarily in the Texas panhandle, mainly affecting Amarillo, Pampa, Dumas, Shamrock and Lipscomb.

According to the resolution, a majority of land burned was farmland and over ten thousand cattle died from the fire. The resolution also honored the two lives confirmed to be lost in the wildfire: Joyce Blankenship from Stinnett and Cindy Owens from Amarillo.

“This is one of the worst [wildfires] anyone could face, especially because a very large percentage of all agricultural products in the state and the country are produced [in the Texas panhandle],” Sexton said.

The Texas A&M Forest Service has over 50 offices around Texas and is one of the first lines of defense once a fire has spread outside normal containment. During the meeting, Langley highlighted that a significant portion of the 600 volunteers deployed to combat the fire were from A&M.

“I do have family that are in the panhandle, and all of them made it out okay, [but] their land and their cattle operations didn’t,” Langley said. “Everything that Texas A&M has done, by giving money and giving a lot of volunteer time to help … has really been so beneficial to the community.”

The resolution states that four Texas A&M system agencies were directly involved in the response effort towards the fire, namely the Texas A&M AgriLife Extension, Forest Service, Vet School and Engineering Extension. 

Multiple departments, including the Department of Biochemistry and Biophysics and the Department of Ecology and Conservation Biology, have held fundraisers for the recovery efforts currently underway in the panhandle.

Both senators hoped the resolution would call attention to the wildfires and praise the rapid response of the A&M System that led to the eventual containment of the fire.

“I know a lot of people in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences know about it, but I think [it raises] awareness for other people, just to see how much your college is doing on issues you might not even be aware about,” Langley said.