Swing for life

The No. 24 Texas A&M softball team will compete in its first “Swing for Life” game against the Sam Houston State University Bearkats Wednesday at the Aggie Softball Complex.
Organized as an effort to “strike out breast cancer,” the event is meant to raise awareness for breast cancer and its victims.
The Aggie Softball Complex will sport a multitude of decorations including pink foul lines, pink coaches boxes and pink bases to match the jerseys worn by the players.
Prior to the start of the game, the team will recognize registered breast cancer survivors on the field.
A&M Head Coach Jo Evans said the team is excited to participate in a service event as a team.
“Our players and coaches have been doing community service things behind the scenes,” Evans said. “But this is the first time we’ve got to do something as a team.”
Junior shortstop Macie Morrow will be laced up and ready to play with the team Wednesday after returning in A&M’s last two games from the injury list.
Morrow was struck in the face with a foul ball in March and was forced to have facial reconstruction surgery after receiving multiple fractures in her face.
Morrow was given an initial OK only a week after the injury and was able to play in the Big 12 Conference opener against Nebraska. Shortly after the Nebraska game, a specialist told Morrow that she could do no physical activity and would miss the remainder of the season.
After missing nearly a month of practice and games, Evans said the team was told by the same specialist that Morrow could practice and play in games if she wore a protective mask.
“The doctor initially told me I would be done for the season and that was tough,” Morrow said. “Then during my appointment last Thursday, I asked him if I could play with a mask, he said yes, and I went with it. Now I’m back.”
Morrow practiced only one day with the team before reentering the line up as the starting shortstop April 17 against Oklahoma.
“The phoenix rises from the ashes once again,” Evans said. “She had some trouble offensively in her game back, but she’s handling it well. She loves being in the game.”
The Bearkats have posted a 2009 overall record of 23-21 and a Southland Conference record of 12-12. They have won eight of their last 10 games.
With the Southland post-season tournament approaching, the Bearkats are tied for seventh place in the conference. Only the top six schools in the conference receive a playoff spot.
The Aggies are currently in sixth place in the Big 12, two games behind Nebraska and just a half-game in front of Oklahoma State. Similar to the Southland conference tournament, only six teams will be invited to the Big 12 championship tournament.