Shalina Sabih July 15, 2024

The Aggiecon experience

There was a definite buzz in the air, a kind of excitement that’s almost tangible. People shuffled around, talking to each other in eager tones, waiting for the weekend’s next stimulating activity. On the second floor of the Memorial Student Center, this was Aggiecon 39.
Among Texas A&M’s many honors , Aggiecon has the prestige of being the largest and oldest student-run convention in the nation. To call Aggiecon just another science fiction convention would be a gross understatement.
Aggiecon is a gathering of people across campus, and in some cases from out of town, who know about the three most important things in life: science fiction, fantasy and horror. Each year, Aggiecon attracts flocks of wizards, warlocks, Jedi, elves, paladins and just about every other being from beyond. It has been said that Aggiecon is singly responsible for the high mana levels the MSC possesses. For Nick Stolfi, junior general sudies major, Aggiecon was a new experience.
“This is my first time coming here.” he said, “Freshman year I didn’t know about it and sophomore year I was out of state,”
Like many of the other attendees, Stolfi sported an interesting costume. Combining a banana costume and a kilt, Stolfi said he didn’t have any particular inspiration for his costume.
This year, similar to any other year, brought the same Aggiecon activities with it. In one darkened room, gamers plugged into RPGs (that’s “role playing game” for those not acquainted with the world of computer gaming) and began quests across sprawling fantasy landscapes.
Further down the hall was a room filled with paintings and artwork. The subjects of the art were as varied as the people looking at it. Dragons, angels, demons, warriors, wizards – it was all there.
In another open and well-lit room, small crowds of console-hungry gamers gathered. Their excited chatter drowned out the noise of the various games played. The furious clicks and ticks of the Xbox and PS3 controllers were heard almost all the way down the hall. One of Saturday’s festivities was a “Super Smash Brothers” brawl, in which gamers go head-to-head in combat.
In two unique rooms, lovers of the Japanese animation known as anime gathered to appreciate the popular form of entertainment. Anime shows and movies were played around the clock. One of the activities on the docket was an anime music video contest. Classic horror films like “Nosferatu,” “Night of the Living Dead” and “The Last Man on Earth” played.
One of the biggest attractions at Aggiecon is the panel of guests that come to speak. From writers to actors, graphic novelists to computer game programmers, each year Aggiecon boasts an impressive collection of the masters themselves. This year Aggiecon received Ellen Muth, star of the show “Dead Like Me,” fantasy author Darlene Bolesny, artist R. Cat Conrad and others.v