Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

The UWC: Newly Renovated and Ready to Serve

Writing+Center
Photo by Photo by Tori Fluellen
Writing Center

The University Writing Center has been newly renovated and is now more ready to serve students than ever before.
With the renovation of the second floor of Evans library over the last school year, the University Writing Center, which exists to help students become better writers and work on their papers, was also renovated. It now boasts a larger waiting area, more consultant space, a few new study desks in the general area, and its very own conference room to help students practice presentations. On top of these expansions on existing services, the writing center will introduce new services in the fall, including shorter, more informal sessions in the study area outside the office.
After having spent much of the last school year in a cramped first floor office, the consultants were more than ecstatic that the renovations were finally complete, according to Doug Fletcher, statistics junior and writing center consultant.
“We have a new space to make our own,” Fletcher said. “We have a lot more open space to greet people, to work with people and that brighter work environment overflows into our consultations.”
This renovation has been a long time coming, said Donna Pantel, administrative coordinator and the main force behind the remodeling. In the last year alone, the University Writing Center has had to completely move all of the tools in their offices twice; once down to the first floor, and once back up to the second.
“In some capacity I’ve been working on this since November 2014,” Pantel said, “But it’s been almost a year long process of building and moving. That was challenging at times, but it’s had a very positive outcome”
All involved seem to agree that the best part of the new and improved University Writing Center is the greater ability to serve students. Candace Hastings, director of the UWC, said the new space grants students more access to the writing center.
“Renovation allows us to serve more students in more ways.” Dr. Hastings said, “Recreating the space allows us to rethink the way that the writing center makes students feel, and make students feel that this is a place where they are always welcome, a place they can really call home.”
For help editing papers or tips on how to improve them, consultations with the University Writing Center can be scheduled at https://writingcenter.tamu.edu/. The new space can be found on the second floor of Evans Library.