Training for military medicine

Photo by Courtesy

The Texas A&M University Health Science Center and U.S. Air Force formed a partnership to utilize the United States Air Force 59th Medical Wing as a training site for A&M College of Medicine students.

The 59th Medical Wing is headquartered in San Antonio and is the Air Force’s premier health care provider. It helps serve over 240,000 patients over multiple facilities across the city. With over 19 clinics and more than 100 specialty services, the 59th Medical Wings Wilford Hall Ambulatory Surgical Center is one of the largest in the country.
The A&M College of Medicine is one of five medical schools created by the Teague Cranston Act which was established in 1971 and has helped establish and understand the needs of military veterans around the country.
Carrie L. Byington, dean of the A&M College of Medicine, senior vice president of the Texas A&M University Health Science Center and vice chancellor for Health Services for the Texas A&M University System joined the leadership staff in 2017.
“The announcement of the partnership 59th Medical Wing is just another addition to strengthen our medical education considering it comes nearly a year after our agreement with the Carl R. Darnell Army Medical Center down in Fort Hood, Texas which is essential for the growth and training involved to have our students learn,” said Byington.
The partnership and collaboration includes rotations working in mental health, dermatology, radiology, internal medicine and ophthalmology, along with the ambulatory surgical rotation to help students understand what’s ahead of them.
Col. Mark True is the Director of Medical Education at the 59th Medical Wing who helped bring the collaboration together.
“We in the 59th Medical Wing look forward to Texas A&M joining the team of military and civilian partners in medical education who share a commitment to improving military health,” True said.
Nearly a year ago, A&M and the Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center (CRDAMC) have established a partnership to help students prepare themselves on an opportunity to help strengthen themselves through rotations at medical clinics around the United States.
Captain Jessie Ho, USAF graduated and commissioned from the school of medicine in May.
“I pursued military medicine because it allows me to serve our country doing my dream,” Ho said. “I have always wanted to serve in the armed forces and now I can serve in the best capacity I can offer; caring for our military members and their families both on and off the battlefield.”
Ho is pursuing a civilian deferred position with the U.S. Air Force and will be aiming for a General Surgery Residency at the McGaw Medical Center of Northwestern University. Upon completion, Ho will serve the military in an active duty role as a general surgeon.
“It’s all very rigorous yet fulfilling,” Ho said. “The key to it all is loving what you do no matter how hard it is. Always work hard to grow and learn throughout your training. Remember you did not succeed alone, so don’t forget to thank your battle buddies, supporters, and leadership.”
Rotations will begin this upcoming September as medical wing staff members will teach the courses. The partnership looks to emphasize are three key priorities: rural population health, engineering medicine and military medicine.
“We believe that by serving, making a difference, and really showing that we know how to teach those and help who serve our nation, we create situations to help our students prepare for any scenario possible,” Bylington said.

• The Texas A&M University Health Science Center and U.S. Air Force formed a partnership to utilize the United States Air Force 59th Medical Wing as a training site for A&M College of Medicine students.

Photo by Courtesy