Turning Point USA to host Ben Carson

Turning Point USA will host former U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development Ben Carson on April 18. (Photo via Gage Skidmore/Flickr/CC BY-SA 2.0 DEED)

Texas A&M’s Turning Point USA, or TPUSA, chapter will host an event with Ben Carson, who served as the 17th U.S. Secretary of Housing and Urban Development from 2017 to 2021 after running for the Republican Presidential nomination in the 2016 primary. Carson is also the founder of the American Cornerstone Institute, a conservative think tank.

The event will start at 7 p.m. on Thursday, April 18, and is free for all to attend.

President of TPUSA at Texas A&M Crystal Amoles said Carson will speak about his experiences from childhood to today followed by a Q&A session with the audience.

Amoles described TPUSA as “a pro-American organization that advocates for limited government, lower taxes, free speech and some other important things that we feel our members should be educated on.”

Amoles said TPUSA’s regional director goes to A&M every week to help guide the chapter and make sure they represent themselves well as members of TPUSA and students of A&M.

“Through her, we are able to directly talk to the Turning Point organization themselves, and they constantly help us out with grants and if we need money to host an event such as the Ben Carson event,” Amoles said. “They send us declarations to help out.”

Amoles said the organization is open for anyone to join.

Amoles said she wanted to highlight Carson “really wanting to come to A&M for a while because he believes in students and staff and the campus here. He loves it because there’s opportunity, there’s faith here, there’s tradition and family and I think A&M really prides itself on the good community that it has to offer all our students and staff.”