What to watch for over the winter break

1. On Dec. 14 the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) will vote on rules which are currently defending net neutrality, according to The New York Times. On Dec. 4, there was a request to delay the vote but at the time of press the change had not mean made. The vote is the result of FCC’s proposal to repeal net neutrality laws, opening the door for internet providers to determine how much people pay for services and control the speed of service.
http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/business/2017/12/01/net-neutrality.cnnmoney/index.html
NYT article title: NY Attorney General Asks for Net Neutrality Vote to Be Put Off
2. Campus construction will continue through the winter break, said Phillip Ray Vice Chancellor for Business Affairs. Some major developments over the break include work on the Quad at the east entrance of the Engineering Education Complex, drilling piers at the Music Activities Center and interior work for the Hotel and Conference Center across from Kyle Field.
3. During the winter break, a team of eight student leaders will be continuing their work with campus administration for a statue of former Texas Senator Matthew Gaines to be built on campus, political science junior and Speaker of Student Senate Jasmine Wang said.
4. Registration for the Memorial Student Center (MSC) Open house, an event where student organizations promote themselves to the student body, opened in November. Regular priced tickets will be offered until Dec. 22 and late tickets can be purchased until Jan. 11, according to the MSC Open House website.
5. Open registration opened Thursday, Nov. 30, 2017, for all continuing students and closes for winter break at 5:00 p.m. on Thursday, Dec. 14. Open registration will resume at 8:00 a.m., Monday Jan. 2, 2018 and ends at 5:00 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 12, 2018, according to the A&M registrar’s website.
6. The White House is decorated for Christmas with 53 Christmas trees with over 12,000 ornaments, 18,000 feet of Christmas lights, 71 wreaths and a 350 pound Gingerbread house, according to the White House website. The Trumps are expecting over 25,000 visitors this holiday season, according to The New York Times.
— https://www.nytimes.com/2017/11/27/us/politics/white-house-christmas-decorations.html
7. Campus transit services and the university will experience a change in schedule due to the winter break. According to the Texas A&M University calendar, transit services will be closed from Dec. 23 to Jan 1 the university closed for break Dec. 25 to Jan 1.