Accepting the end… of spring break

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Economics sophomore and news editor Luke Henkhaus shares tips on getting back into a school mindset after the break.

Another spring break has come and gone, and as much as we hate to admit it, it’s time to shake off the sand, cover up that embarrassing new tattoo and return to reality. If you’re like me, a solid week off can make you forget you were ever even enrolled in school, so coming back to class can be severely disorienting to say the least. Luckily, there are a few useful things you can do to make the adjustment just a little bit easier.
1. Take a walk around campus
Even if your brain understands that spring break is over, it can be tough to get the rest of your body to cooperate. Taking a nice stroll through some familiar campus locations can help you re-adjust to your surroundings and start rebuilding your academic routine. If you’ve been away for a while, it’s also a great chance to experience iconic campus landmarks from a fresh perspective. Why not walk through the cool shade of Military Walk’s noble oak trees, examine the intricate metal designs on the doors of the Administration Building, or go to Heldenfels and see some … bricks, I guess?
2. Re-organize your room
If you had to tear apart your entire bedroom to find that other flip-flop, now is a great time to tidy things up. Naturally this means different things for different people, so if being able to see your floor is an accomplishment for you, then go ahead and take pride in that. Taking control of your living space by cleaning and organizing can help you feel more at home and connected with your surroundings. It’s also a great opportunity to listen to music, podcasts or audiobooks. If you’re feeling extra redass, the Fightin’ Texas Aggie Band has a pretty cool album on Spotify.
3. Start a healthy sleep schedule
Random naps and spontaneous all-nighters can be awesome when you’re on spring break, but with the return of your usual school schedule, it really helps to get on some kind of solid sleep routine. You probably know what works best for you based on how your body handles sleep and when your classes are, but the most important thing to keep in mind for everyone is consistency. You might think sticking to a bedtime makes you seem too much like a kid or a senior citizen, but your body and your grades will thank you later.
4. Get started on that thing
You know the one. That thing you’ve been putting off? Maybe you said you’d work on it over the break, but it’s probably safe to say that didn’t work out. Whether it’s that colossal research project, the paper that’s worth 20 percent of your grade or maybe just your FAFSA, the time is now. The day is today. Well … maybe not today today …
5. See the light at the end of the semester
As if there weren’t already enough things to love about spring break, it also serves as a convenient half-way point for the semester. If you feel good about what you’ve done so far, just keep it up and finish strong. If you’re less than pleased with that first half, take this opportunity to leave the past behind and make the changes you need to salvage the semester. March is more than halfway over and April is going to fly right by too. So take comfort in the fact that it’s all downhill* from here.
*Steepness and method of travel down the hill may vary based on habits, major, employment and any number of other factors. Good luck.
Luke Henkhaus is an economics sophomore and news editor for The Battalion.