BFG: Spielberg revives a childhood classic

The childrens book was reimagined for the big screen
The children’s book was reimagined for the big screen

Roald Dahl’s magical children’s book, “The BFG,” comes to life on the big screen in Steven Spielberg’s film adaptation. The movie is filled with enchantment and wonder as 10-year-old orphan Sophie, played by new actress Ruby Barnhill, spots the giant walking throughout London’s streets at night. After the BFG (Mark Rylance) realizes he’s been spotted, he abducts Sophie and takes her to his cave in Giant Country to prevent her from exposing his existence.

In “The BFG’s” charming cavern, we learn he’s the only friendly giant of his kind and that all others are “canny-bulls,” an idea reinforced by their brutish appearance and names such as Fleshlumpeater (Jemaine Clement), Bloodbottler (Bill Hader), and Manhugger (Adam Godley). Despite their barbaric demeanor, no real sense of danger is depicted but rather implied, which is great for children and viewers who may be more sensitive to violent material.

Additionally, the special effects are spectacular; “The BFG’s” detailed resemblance to Rylance makes it easy to believe in his character. “The BFG” is a dream catcher who captures both good and bad dreams and stores them in carefully marked containers. The dreams are bright colorful orbs with small personalities who help the heroes by implanting thoughts into other characters’ minds. Some minor bathroom humor is thrown into the mix and gives laughs to both adults and children.

Overall, the movie provdes a mystical adventure and fun for the whole family.