Black Aggie Family barbecue serves to connect students

My first semester at Texas A&M has been a rush of change and excitement. I’ve met a slew of new people. I’m taking more challenging classes, and I’ve begun to get a sense of what I want out of my life after college. But coming from a college with a higher percentage of black students, it was alienating seeing fewer black students in my classes here. 
I’m the only black person in half of my classes, and it’s a bit hard to find people that I can discuss and interact with in ways that I haven’t been able to since the fall semester.
The Black Aggie Family Barbecue was a refresher from my last three months of classes. I was able to connect with other black students and hear about black organizations that I’d never seen publicized on campus. I was able to trade stories of being a black student on campus and living in the maroon bubble that is College Station with other black Aggie family members. It was a chance to eat really good barbecue and dance to the basic songs of a black barbecue, but also a chance to see that I was represented at Texas A&M. I felt welcome.
The barbecue gave me more avenues to get involved with my community. I could visit the Department of Multicultural Services more often or join a black Greek organization. Events where the minority groups can link up with people who look like them makes students and faculty feel more aware and engaged on campus. I probably never would have found time to learn about these opportunities if it weren’t for the barbecue.
These events aren’t meant to exclude people who don’t belong to those communities. They’re meant to build unity and connections within a community. My parents felt more at home for those couple hours than they did the rest of Parent’s Weekend, and I can say the same. More events like this one are needed at A&M, because they show a side of Texas A&M that me and other minorities don’t see when we’re lost in the sea of maroon. Plus, I finally found someone to braid my hair, so that’s a bonus.