“Bohemian Rhapsody” an excellent biopic of legendary man

Bohemian+Rhapsody
Bohemian Rhapsody

“Bohemian Rhapsody” is a big film. There’s no other way to describe it. It’s a spectacle of decadence, massive audiences and rock and roll. It details in vibrant color and blaring guitar the story of how one of the greatest bands in history came to be. It’s a detail-oriented biopic, focused on one of the greatest singers and legendary musicians of all time. The film’s topic has weight, and the movie really makes you feel it.
But beyond the historical and biographical aspects of the film, I was surprised by how well they portrayed the characters as people instead of just subjects. A trap that many biographical films fall into is sacrificing character development for historical accuracy. Some movies will show a series of events in minute detail, but completely ignore the larger picture of who their subject really was. “Bohemian Rhapsody” does not fall into this trap. It not only displays the history of Queen through mostly accurate events, but it develops its characters wonderfully as well. By the end of the film, I felt less like I’d walked through a museum about Freddie Mercury and more like I’d lived a few years alongside him. Despite artistic liberties, I felt that the film gave me new insight into the lives of the members of Queen, and into the history of the band and its music.
As far as acting goes, Rami Malek delivered a spectacular performance as Freddie himself. Acting through a set of fake front teeth, Malek spends the film as Mercury. He transforms into the rock legend and is utterly convincing in the role. After seeing what Malek brought to the part, I can’t imagine anyone else playing it. The casting choice was brilliant. All the other actors played their parts excellently as well, but everyone else on the screen pales in comparison to Fredd- I mean Malek’s presence.
One of the strongest points of the film was something that easily could’ve been its weakest. The movie incorporates several concert scenes, with a particularly long one at the very end. These scenes go on for several minutes each, with the final concert timing in at well over ten minutes. Done poorly, these scenes could have easily derailed the film, breaking its pace and allowing it to get bogged down in historical recreation. These scenes were not done poorly. Instead of breaking up the film, they tied it together. Instead of bogging it down, they injected it with life. They made the movie about the music and focused it on what Queen was really about. These scenes showcased Freddie’s insane talent for showmanship and highlighted Malek’s transformation into the legendary rockstar. They made me feel like I was there, watching in person. The concert scenes gave me a ticket to some of the biggest performances in history. They were masterfully done.
If you’re a Queen fan, you have to see this film. If you’re not a Queen fan, you should probably see it anyway. It’s a meticulous biopic that doesn’t forget about its characters, and offers its audience a front row seat to the history of one of the biggest bands the world has ever seen. Bohemian Rhapsody is a great song, and “Bohemian Rhapsody” is a great movie.