Column: Why ‘I’m with Her’

Hillary+Clinton
Photo by Via Creative Commons
Hillary Clinton

It’s been a rough election cycle for millennials like myself — we’ve waited years to exercise our constitutional right to vote. Yet here we are, in the midst of a historic election — historic for all the wrong reasons. The two candidates facing off against each other are in a unique position — they’re both running against the only person they could possibly beat. Were Hillary Clinton to be running against any of the other Republican nominees from the primary season she wouldn’t have my vote.
Compared to Trump, Hillary fits the picture of the ideal presidential candidate. She graduated —with honors — from Yale  Law School in 1969. Following this, she served as a public defender for a number of years. Yes, I acknowledge that she defended some unsavory people during her time as a lawyer, but that comes with the territory. Regardless, she has an extensive understanding of the law, as well as the Constitution — knowledge that is essential in order to be a successful president.
Arguably, her biggest leap into politics was to become the First Lady of the United States during her husband Bill Clinton’s presidency. This gives her a unique set of skills — she has experienced first-hand the inner workings of the most powerful office in the free world. She then became senator of New York in 2000 and her most recent position was Secretary of State.
Now she’s running for president. Really, the only reasons I can justify voting for Hillary are her past experiences and the simple fact that I agree more with her policies on several important issues than I do with Trump’s. While Trump sees no problem with implying those who suffer from mental illnesses are weak, Hillary is an advocate for them. Among other things, she plans to launch a “national initiative for suicide prevention,” something I believe is imperative. As for foreign policy, Hillary is undoubtedly more prepared to handle delicate foreign relations, which is especially important in our currently volatile world.
Instead of saying climate change is a hoax created by the Chinese, she recognizes it as a very real and immediate threat; like her predecessor she has promised to continue to work to protect our environment and work towards clean energy.
For me, the most important thing to consider when electing a president is their stance on important issues. After all, a large part of being the president is working to change policy. I agree with more of Hillary’s proposed policies than I do Trump’s, which is why I stand by my decision to vote for her come November.