Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Cooper and Gaga evoke powerful emotion in “A Star is Born”

A Star is Born

The newest remake of “A Star is Born,” directed by Bradley Cooper, shows the delicate interplay of a relationship riddled with jealousy, alcoholism and insecurity.
Cooper plays a big-time celebrity named Jack and Lady Gaga plays an unlucky wannabe musician named Ally.Their characters’ relationship is based on their shared love for songwriting and the mutual support they gain from one another. As their relationship develops, they face challenges as their own insecurities take over.
The cinematography in this movie is spectacular. All the concert scenes invoke the feelings of excitement and anticipation you feel before attending a concert or getting onstage. The camera and angles make you feel like you’re really there at the concert.
The music feels like it’s surrounding you, enveloping the entire room. Every song in this movie was incredibly well done and gave me chills. The scoring wasn’t overdone either. Music was only played when necessary. Having only a few, quality songs made them very powerful.
Gaga’s performance in this film was nothing short of angelic. Her voice is enchanting, rich and smooth. She was born for this role.
In the scene where she performs her first solo, her character transforms from a shy, nervous woman crippled with insecurities and self doubt into a confident stage performer. You literally watch her find her voice. Her talents absolutely extend beyond the musical field.
Gaga’s acting seemed very natural, and gave the movie a touch of realism. It didn’t feel like an actress playing a role, but instead like you were watching a real person through a window.
I was also impressed at Cooper’s musical talent. His performances throughout the movie continued to surprise me. The way the characters looked at each other made me swoon. It felt and looked like real love. I could see and feel sparks flying between them, especially the first time they lock eyes. It’s clear that she is his source of light.
“A Star is Born” explores the raw emotions experienced through forgiveness, love, acceptance and coping. Its themes of addiction and sacrifice were heavy, but they’re put into the film in a beautiful way.
This movie tugs on your heart in a way that provokes real emotion. Even if this movie isn’t personally relatable to you, it opens a window for reflection and thought.
Lexi Ellis is a general studies sophomore and life and arts writer for The Battalion.