Don’t let inconvenience deter you

By Olivia Adam
Cain Hall OPN

Please don’t let the relocation of vital student services from Cain Hall deter you from getting the help you may need.
Having just entered my fourth year at A&M, I’ve seen so many positive outcomes from these      services. A couple of my friends talked to a counselor about homesickness and career uncertainty after changing majors. Another sought legal help after her landlord illegally withheld her deposit without a statement of charges, and she was able to get her deposit back with their guidance. Yet another talked to a nutritionist following a recent traumatic event in order to avoid developing an eating disorder again. I myself set up exams through Disability Services for extra time and a quiet, distraction-reduced testing environment.
Discovering that all of these services will be relocated — most to west campus — absolutely infuriated me. Especially in the middle of the semester. While these services support students and give them necessary resources, it can be out of the way to go all the way to Cain Hall, let alone West Campus.
Whereas Cain Hall is a short walk from the MSC, Student Services at White Creek isn’t within walking distance. Located at University and Discovery Drive, White Creek is a 15 minute bus ride from the MSC.
My first thought when I heard about the move was to quit scheduling my tests through Disability Services — a resource I need — due to the inconvenience. But I realized I would be doing a disservice to myself by not utilizing these resources.
So I urge you, fellow Aggies, please seek the assistance you need from these resources despite the inconvenience. Despite how much anxiety you may have getting on the bus route to White Creek. Despite how you may want to get off at every stop before finally arriving at White Creek. Despite your desire to stay on the bus headed back to main campus. Despite how intimidating it is to walk through the front doors. Despite how difficult it is, please ask for help. All of these resources are always available for students that need them. 
If you aren’t someone who needs help, be there for someone who does. If you know someone who has thought about using Student Services, encourage them to follow through. Be someone they can talk to. Offer to go with them so they don’t have to sit on the bus alone.
“We are the Aggies, the Aggies are we. True to each other as Aggies can be.” 
As cliché and overused as this line from the Spirit of Aggieland is, nothing holds more true than the willingness we have to help each other. 
Your fellow students realize the importance of these services. 
So, please don’t ever feel too alone, too proud or too inconvenienced to ask for help.
Olivia Adam is a math senior and web editor for The Battalion.