Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Drake’s “Views” leaves a lot to be desired

Drake
Drake

With “Views,” Canadian rapper Drake trades the brag-heavy rapping of past albums for dancehall and R&B tracks that leave a lot to desire from the critically acclaimed hip-hop artist.

The album has been highly anticipated after the bloated, but hot, solo mixtape, “If You’re Reading This It’s Too Late,” and his joint effort with trap mumbler Future, “What A Time To Be Alive.” Drake has said in interviews that “Views” was meant to be a dedication to the changing seasons of his hometown Toronto, Canada. Whether high-profile production, funny one-liners and a lot of emotion are a soundtrack to the 416 is up for a Canadian to decide, but the latest release left me hoping for more rhyming and less crooning.

The opening track of the album, “Keep The Family Close,” is strong and straight to the point and should be a warning to fans of Drake’s rapping: there is going to be very little rap on this album. The booming orchestra, horns and drums of the track make his vocals pop in a way that most Drake songs just can’t. The overall production of the album is amazing, with hard hitters like Kanye West, Southside, and Drake’s partner in crime and long-time producer 40 giving their all.

But even with the stellar beats, the album is a mixed bag. Stand-out tracks “Feel No Ways,” “Hype,” “Weston Road Flows” and “Too Good” — which features Rihanna — have the energy, fun lyricism and a unique, modern sound to keep the album moving. Yet tracks “U With Me?” “Controlla” and “Redemption” feel like filler that could have been left out completely. The lack of features, such as the Kanye West verse cut from “Pop Style” and the absence of Popcaan on “Controlla,” leave parts of the album feeling empty and begging for some variety. The features that are present, such as the ever consistent Future on “Grammy” and the ghost of Pimp C on “Faithful,” don’t add very much to the record and fail to be memorable.

“Views” is more Drake if that is what you are looking for, but it’s not as excellent as the hype implied. Lyrics about romantic drama at Cheesecake Factory, a Dave Chappelle reference, classy beat choices and a bit of dancehall Jamaican flavor make the album worth a few listens. But “Views” does not have the staying power of “Take Care” or “Nothing Was The Same.”
Traditional hip-hop fans will want more after listening to “Views.” While there are some pretty good songs on this album, Drake needs to step it up. This is a sub-par addition to his discography.