Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Dua Lipa’s new songs shine in self titled re-release

Dua Lipa’s new album has seven new songs and a live performance.

Dua Lipa’s self-titled debut album was already a solid offering, but the seven new songs in her new deluxe edition complete the package.

The English singer has been on a collision course with stardom since her early YouTube days. Dua Lipa has since become a household name that most people can pronounce, despite the singer only having one album under her belt. 

“Dua Lipa: Complete Edition” is a re-release of the same album with seven new tracks and a live performance of her summer hit, “New Rules.” Clocking in at one hour and 29 minutes, this album is full of personality, energy and a whole lot of potential for the “IDGAF” singer. 

All of the tracks have a genuinely commendable vocal performance from Lipa. Her voice has a signature gravelly nature to it and then jumps into a powerful upper octave that will push your speakers to the limit.   

The best songs on this album for me have Lipa’s voice in its purest form, exposed and clear of the cluttered feel pop music can often have. “New Love” pairs R&B elements with a haunting choir and synth layers for a truly great track. 

“Be the One” is my choice for the best song on the album. The song combines spacey synth attack with dreamy harmonies in the chorus for an 80’s pop feel. 

Even though I hold Lipa in high regard, I don’t think the majority of the songs on this album do their best to push the envelope of what she can do. Steady pop drum kit samples and trope lyrics do nothing to “Blow Your Mind.” For a lot of songs on this album, the quality didn’t surpass “okay.”

However, the new additions shift my thoughts on the album as a whole. The tracks Lipa adds are collaborations she’s had with other artists like Martin Garrix, Calvin Harris and BLACKPINK, on top of two new original songs, “Running” and “Want To.” 

“No Lie,” featuring Jamaican rapper Sean Paul, is a reggaeton-style piece showing off Lipa’s versatility. “Electricity,” her collaboration with EDM duo Silk City, is an electrifying addition to the tracklist, putting her voice front and center.

As exciting as the idea of having a bilingual track with South Korean girl group BLACKPINK is, the song doesn’t surpass my expectations. But it does deserve praise because we love a multicultural queen.

Dua Lipa got a running start in the industry, and this album — apart from her undeniable charisma — makes it easy to understand why. Judging by how great she sounds live and the names that want to work with Lipa, we can expect great material from her in the future. 

“Dua Lipa: Complete Edition” is available for streaming on all popular music services.

Ronnie Mata is a Blinn TEAM freshman and Life & Arts reporter for The Battalion.