Five things to look for in GOP Debate

The second round of Republican presidential candidate debates will take place Wednesday at the Reagan Presidential Library in California. If this debate is anything like last month’s Fox News Debate, viewers and pundits will have much to talk about.

The CNN debate will feature the 11 leading GOP presidential hopefuls at 7 p.m. Central Time. The remaining four candidates who didn’t meet the polling requirements will take the stage two hours before the primetime event.
Here are five things to watch out for in tomorrow’s Republican Presidential debates.

1. New Debate, New Issues — The Fox News debate questions focused on immigration, abortion and other issues important to the Republican Party. Expect the CNN debate to focus more on issues not discussed as much during the last round, including income inequality, education and foreign policy.

2. Carly Fiorina vs. Donald Trump — Both business leaders with little political experience, Carly Fiorina and Donald Trump have had tense exchanges. A notable example surfaced when Fiorina said to reporters in New Hampshire, “I think Donald Trump is an entertainer. And I think I am a leader.” Expect to see more attacks between Trump and Fiorina as they take the stage Wednesday.

3. Jeb Bush — After losing some momentum at the previous Fox News debate, Jeb Bush will have to fight harder to regain ground if he wants to keep himself in the race. He’ll need to come across resolute, strong and appear as his “own man” after struggling through the primary to get his own identity across to voters.

4. Ben Carson — Many polls have Carson in a close second behind Donald Trump. This debate will show whether or not he has the capacity to stay strong and relevant. For better or worse, Dr. Carson lacks the political experience of many other candidates. This may make it more difficult for him when he is asked for solutions to specific foreign policy issues, which may be more apparent in these debates.

5. What will Trump do next? — Since last month’s debate, Trump has been accused of making inappropriate remarks towards women. In reference to questioning by Fox News reporter Megyn Kelly in last month’s debate, Trump said, “[there was] blood coming out of her eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.” Critics interpreted this statement to be a reference to menstruation. Since then, Donald Trump has claimed he was referring to a nose bleed. Expect Donald Trump to be questioned further on his attitude toward women and minorities.

Jordan Sloan is a biochemistry senior and reporter for The Battalion.