Independence Day: Resurgence

Graphic by: Sydney Farris

Channeling 1996, director Roland Emmerich (known for works such as “The Patriot”, “The Day After Tomorrow” and “2012”) offers viewers a nostalgic, action-packed film with incredible special effects in “Independence Day: Resurgence”. The cast hosted both old legends and relatively new stars. However, unnecessary characters and cheesy scenes distract from the fast paced, science fiction driven plot.
The return of the original film’s President Whitmore (Bill Pullman) ushers in a cast of new characters by way of his daughter, Patricia Whitmore (Maika Monroe). The next generation features several young, up-and-coming actors such as Liam Hemsworth, Jessie T. Usher, Travis Tope and Chinese model/actress Angelababy. Cameos from actors who played part in the original film guide the plot, as Jeff Goldblum returns as the curious David Levinson, who works to decipher the science and culture left behind by the first film’s alien invaders. Brent Spiner returns as Dr. Brakish Okun, a scientist who renews his obsession with alien life after awakening from a coma.

Overall, the film followed a predictable and linear plot. The aliens return, humans must stop them in order to save humanity. As David Levinson mentions in the film, the world has come together as one unified Earth in order to prepare for a second alien attack. Viewers are given little insight into the specifics of Earth’s globalized military structure, but are quickly introduced to the leader of Earth’s most powerful and adept strike force, Dylan Hiller (Usher), who is revealed to be the son of Captain Steven Hiller (Will Smith) from the 1996 film.
Quickly, a rivalry is established between Dylan and Jake Morrison (Hemsworth), a skilled pilot with an attitude problem, is stationed on the moon and engaged to Patricia Whitmore, a former pilot and a speech writer for the current President (Sela Ward). The beginning of the film is built around an annual Independence Day celebration which honors the events of July 4, 1996, when humanity defended Earth from the aliens that would threaten them later in the film.

Though many of the characters involved in the large cast hosted complex traits and interesting backstories, some were glaringly unnecessary. Catherine Marcaeux (Charlotte Gainsbourg) contributed very little to plot progression and generated little interest other than being a forced love interest and partial rival to David Levinson. Patricia Whitmore, daughter of the heroic President Whitmore, did very little other than unsuccessfully trying to control her father, only becoming integral at the end of the film though she has an incredible amount of screen time and is framed as a main character.
Undoubtedly, Independence Day: Resurgence is an entertaining film given its premise. At the end of the day, it is a reboot – though a well done one at that. The alien race was remastered, higher quality and honestly pretty cool. Similarly, the aliens’ advanced technology was showcased awesomely – specifically, a scene where a squad of fighter pilots enter the alien mothership was awe-inspiringly detailed and unique. Though the reboot did not trigger something deep inside of me, or impact me in any major way, I felt entertained and enjoyed the experience as a whole.