Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Letter to the editor: Against concealed carry on campus

Dear Chancellor Sharp,
I write this letter with a heavy heart as I am baffled by your decision to support Campus Carry. As an Aggie and member of a Texas ranching family, I understand the heritage of guns in our great state. But I am also the mother of two young girls so I went to the Senate Committee hearing on Monday at our State Capitol to hear the commentary — for and against — Campus Carry.
Here are just a few of the comments that I heard as to why Campus Carry (and Open Carry) are just bad policies:
– Students voicing concerns about concentrating with guns in the classroom. Let’s face it, not everyone is comfortable around guns.
– Texas A&M and University of Texas professors who are concerned about their safety and who have received verbal threats from stressed students needing to receive a certain grade. They are terrified of adding guns to that equation.
– Psychologists reminding us that the Prefrontal cortex of the brain does not fully develop until the age of 25, or later (the area of the brain responsible for decision making)
– A tearful mother and widow explaining how she tried to stop her mentally ill 18-year-old son from buying a gun. She was not successful because he was of the legal age. Her son killed her husband with a gun just months later.
– That 75% of Texas law enforcement DO NOT support the idea of Campus Carry
We all know about the Aggie Code of Honor — we do not lie, cheat or steal or tolerate those who do. Is the university campus so unsafe now, so combative, that our students feel compelled to carry a gun for protection? That does not sound like the university I attended, and it does not sound like one that I want to support.
Finally, you may remember my grandfather, Barlow Bones Irvin, ‘26, who played football for A&M and retired in 1968 after years of dedicated service to the university. I loved hearing his colorful stories about the people who helped to shape A&M. I’m certain of what he would say today if he was still alive, living in his home just two miles from Aggieland.
“Guns on campus? That’s crazy!”
Grandfather, I couldn’t agree more.
Respectfully,
Kathleen Irvin Loughlin
Class of ‘92