Letter to the editor: All Faiths Chapel needs more than a facelift

In 2009 I recognized that All Faiths Chapel, on the campus of Texas A&M University, was in disrepair and in fact dilapidated. The landscape was in like manner. Interpreting this as a call to renovate our Chapel, I approached Dr. Woodcock, professor emeritus in the Department of Architecture. His suggestion was to begin with an architectural/structural assessment that would cost about $16,000.
My next stop was Dr. Loftin’s office. Sharing my concern with him led him to say, and I quote, “If you are looking for a green light to renovate All Faiths Chapel, you’ve got it.”
I then approached the A&M Foundation but encountered a brick wall.
Returning to Dr. Loftin, some time later, in a meeting with Dr. Bob Walker and Rev. Sam Hill, Dr. Walker suggested I identify a group of students, create a student organization and call it “The Committee to Renovate All Faiths Chapel.”
In the meantime money was procured by way of a Student Senate bill to do a “facelift” on our Chapel. Shortly before that work was to begin I met with Mr. Tom Reber, Billy Belmovovitz and another young lady. For an hour I presented what I believe is God’s perspective on the renovation of All Faiths Chapel, a student led movement that would lead to spiritual renewal on our campus and beyond. I was ignored.
The administration intends to mask the true spiritual ramifications involved in the “renovation” of All Faiths Chapel by providing a “facelift,” then having a ceremony and calling it a “done deal.”
Poppycock!
As in our lives, God is not calling for a mere “facelift.” He is calling for a true “renovation,” and may the Lord’s will be done!
Brother John Ellison, Class of 1982