Letter to the editor: Former student questions removal of Sul Ross statue stop on Elephant Walk

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
Sul Ross Pennies

Regarding the article about removing the stop at the Lawrence Sullivan Ross statue during Elephant Walk I have a few questions about the stated reasons for this change.
The article states that Julia Tisch stated the statue will not be a focus of the walk because student groups have recently expressed discomfort with Sully’s past as a Confederate general. Fair enough, which groups and what kind of discomfort? She also stated that there are a “bunch” of students who have still yet to feel like A&M is their home because of certain traditions that they don’t feel included in. My questions are how many is a “bunch” and in which certain traditions are they not included? Facts would be a good thing to provide when altering or deleting something considered a tradition.
I am not opposed to change, I am opposed to knee jerk reactions when individuals or groups claim discomfort or don’t feel like A&M is their home because of certain traditions. Remember that traditions are events that many people hold close to their heart. To promote inclusion by excluding the stop at Sully is foolish.