Letter to the editor: In favor of concealed campus carry

In light of the Texas 84th Legislature’s passage of SB11 on May 26th, I’d like to make a few points in favor of the bill. Starting September 1st, 2015, concealed carry of handguns will be allowed inside campus buildings of public universities in Texas.
To legally carry a concealed handgun, a concealed handgun license (CHL) must be obtained and carried while the holder is armed. Despite the imminent passage of HB910 allowing the open carry of handguns, the practice does not apply to college campuses. Section 411.2031(d) of SB11 allows regulation of storage inside campus dormitories, and certain areas may be marked as off-limits to concealed carry by the board of regents.
This bill affects Texas A&M slightly more than most other public universities in regards to how many students will be carrying concealed handguns. In Texas, a member of the military may obtain a CHL at the age of 18 with no licensing fees. Because ROTC counts as military service, all members of the Corps of Cadets are eligible for a CHL for at least their first three semesters. One can reasonably assume that this will encourage concealed carry by cadets, so long as dormitory storage rules are conducive to keeping each individual’s handgun within a reasonably accessible area.
While I understand the concerns of anti-campus carry students, I think a little perspective is required. The Texas Department of Public Safety reports that in 2013, Texans committed 50,869 violent crimes. Of those, CHL holders committed only 158, or .3106% of the total. Furthermore, these are only numbers and do not reflect if a legally carried firearm was used in the violent crime.
Many opponents of campus carry claim that the stress of college life could compromise even the most well intentioned student’s ability to safely carry a handgun. For this, I ask for a little trust. CHL holders don’t carry a handgun for the purpose of slaughtering innocent people. We carry for the protection of ourselves and those around us. If an individual wanted to commit a crime, the current laws prohibiting campus carry aren’t likely to make a difference.
In the end, the only thing that can truly make a difference in crime is having someone there to stop it from happening. So let’s make a statement to all those who would mess with the Aggies by supporting the Texas Legislature’s effort to allow us to protect ourselves.
Jason Porter
Bioenvironmental sciences senior