Letter to the editor: Urging ‘students first’ priority

Dear Board of Regents:
Congratulations on your selection of Michael Young to be the next President of Texas A&M University. With this search complete the university we all hold dear can now begin to turn the page with fresh, bold, new leadership.
In order to accomplish the task of new leadership it is important to note a “STUDENTS FIRST” priority should be demonstrated. To this effect, President-designate Young should be allowed to live in the President’s home on campus. Established under President Rudder, this home allows the university president to show solidarity with the campus and provide access to students and visitors. By transforming the home into a guest palace for dignitaries and donators, you are sending the message you have a greater priority on fundraising as opposed to the unique connectedness between the President and the campus.
Furthermore, onboarding a new President by saying, “Get your own damn house,” seems unprofessional and unwelcoming to the campus’ new leader. Please reconsider this decision and allow President-designate Young the opportunity afforded to Presidents before him — the chance to integrate with Aggies, visitors, and those donors and dignitaries from the Presidents home.
At the same time, the Hagler Center nearby the campus and football stadium could easily be used for fundraising initiatives. Perhaps a suggestion would be to add on to the Hagler Center with an overnight complex for dignitaries to stay? Congratulations again on your selection of a new President.
Robert Christopher Ferguson
Class of 2001