Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Living in Bryan vs. College Station

Photo by Photo by Spencer Russo

Found on Texas Ave, these two statues signify the divide between College Station and Bryan.

Bryan – Josh
Cheaper cost of living
In comparison, Bryan offers a more affordable cost of living than College Station. In my experience, when discussing rent and utilities with friends, I am always the one with the fewest expenses. I also have more space. I live in a spacious four-bedroom house in a nice neighborhood. While Bryan might be thought of as distant from the university, I live an easy five-minute drive from Kyle Field. In comparison, people who live closer to campus can pay hundreds of dollars more for less space.
Community living
One of the nicest parts about living in Bryan is the fact that I feel as if I’m in a small town, rather than a college town. Living in Bryan, I feel, has given me insight to what post-college life will be. I have had the opportunity to talk with my neighbors about school and what they have going on in their life. I also love getting to go to the stores or restaurants where I’m not just another college kid — a place I can frequent and get to know who works there, becoming a regular. The community experience is one of the best parts of living outside of College Station; it will give you the opportunity to be a student and get a preview of adult life.
The hippest part of town
While College Station has Northgate, Bryan has its own entertainment district — Downtown Bryan. Here lies some of the best bars in town and the most unique, independently owned restaurants. Downtown offers a variety of experiences to enjoy. On the first Friday night of every month students can take part in First Friday. There is music, dancing, food, books and every store comes out in full force to make the block party happen. Living in Bryan can give you a quick 10-minute drive to this wonderful area.
College Station – Alice
More restaurant variety, cheaper prices
Northgate is housed in College Station, and is the known bar district for students. Northgate is home to many iconic, unofficial Aggie traditions — like grabbing something to eat at Dixie Chicken or walking down Bottlecap Alley.
College Station also has much more variety in dining options, ranging from on-campus, to fast food, to sit-down restaurants; Mexican to Chinese to Italian to bakeries. Bryan does not have the number of restaurants to compare to College Station’s “Restaurant Row,” located on University Drive, and consequently Bryan does not have the many quick, cheap, late-night, college budget friendly places College Station has to offer, either.
Closer to campus and to friends; Transportation Services
College Station offers an unrivaled proximity to campus. Additionally, Texas A&M’s Transportation Services extend throughout College Station, and at some apartment complexes a bus will pick you up at the complex entrance, or at the most a bus stop is a five-minute walk away. While these services extend to Bryan, they are not as readily available. If you don’t have a car, good luck getting to class. Furthermore, the majority of students live in College Station and so you are closer to your friends.
More Coffee Shops, open later
Bryan is home to some unique coffee shops — Harvest and The Village Cafe and Art979 Gallery among them — but College Station houses many more: Lupas, Sweet Eugene’s, Minuti Coffee, Republic Coffee and 1451 Pastries and Coffee, to name a few. Coffee shops in College Station are not only more numerous, but they are open later. The latest a coffee shop stays open in College Station is 2 a.m. Compare this to Bryan’s latest coffee shop, Harvest, which closes at 10 p.m.