Opinion: Embrace the unknown after graduation

Not having a clear career path is a chance for growth, not stress
Meredith Seaver
Nervous about graduating? Opinion writer Nihan Iscan says there are great opportunities in not knowing your ideal career role. (File photo by Meredith Seaver)

Graduation countdown has begun, and if you are anything like me, you’re probably dealing with a whirlwind of emotions ranging from excitement to hope and gratitude. But I would be lying if I said there wasn’t a strong dose of anxiety mixed in that cocktail of emotions.

For most of us, post-graduation will be our first taste of complete adulthood and all the responsibilities that come with it: Saving up money, handling bills and payments, finding a career that you will thrive in, creating a set of habits that will organize your life and on and on. The “to-do list” for your life after graduation seems endless. 

So, how should we deal with all of these stresses?

It’s crucial to understand that graduation stress is completely normal, as is not knowing exactly what we want in terms of career goals and ideal job positions. Similar to sculpting a statue, your ideal career will emerge from consistent work, shaping and carving with attention. The David statue wasn’t built in a day, and neither will your career.

It’s common for people to change the course of their career trajectory at multiple points, and that isn’t a bad thing. Having a diverse set of experiences allows you to explore your strengths and weaknesses which makes it possible to discover your ideal work environment. 

For instance, having professional experience in an office job as well as a fast-paced customer service environment can make you realize that you enjoy interacting with people all day and find meaning in helping others. You may uncover a hidden talent of being an effective communicator and a good empathizer. Or maybe, you find out that you excel at working alone, have a great eye for detail and feel the most comfortable by having a set schedule everyday rather than being assigned spontaneous daily tasks. 

Your undecided career plans are not a sign that you are going to fail in the workforce, in fact always keeping your career aspirations creative and open will result in you shaping a more successful career route. Most successful people tend to change jobs more often than the average person, making a clear case that keeping your options open, consistently exploring and discovering your sense of inspiration, and re-evaluating your values and future goals will help you build your dream career in the long run. 

The deciding factor for your success is not knowing exactly what you want to do for the rest of your life but keeping an open mind and consistently putting in effort to explore what you want to do. Working to combine multiple skills and desires together into the perfect role for you is a great mindset to have at the beginning of building your career. 

As a fellow senior planning to graduate this summer, I understand the mix of emotions you might be feeling. The fear of the unknown is a constant companion, but so is the optimism that propels us forward. Though my career path is anything but certain, I’m eager to explore how I can benefit the communities around me by utilizing what I have acquired in my undergraduate years. 

There is great potential hidden in the ambiguity about the future. What is important is that we, as the freshly graduated students of Texas A&M, make the time and effort to uncover our greatest capabilities. 

Nihan Iscan is an international studies senior and an opinion writer for The Battalion.

View Comments (1)