Opinion: ‘This action is beautiful’

Photo by Wesley Holmes

Teresa and Dru Denae were the fourth same-sex couple to receive their marriage license in Brazos County

On June 26th, Gov. Greg Abbott posted the following to Twitter: “Marriage was defined by God. No man can redefine it. We will defend our religious liberties.”

Similarly, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton stated that county clerks, judges and justices of peace can deny marriage licenses to same-sex couples on religious grounds. 

Texas officials are fighting to keep the right to control the definition of marriage, but this fight begs the question: is denying a person’s happiness a “right”?

It’s important to keep in mind that a majority of U.S. states (37, to be exact) had legal same-sex marriage before the federal decision, and that equal marriage has been a global movement since the Netherlands legalized same-sex marriage back in April 2001. If the apocalypse was encroaching, it would already be upon us.

It’s safe to say that the majority of opposition to this movement arises from religious grounds. Arguments that marriage is an immutable tradition founded in the name of God are certainly understandable, and even hold logical merit. 

But in our modern context, many of the religious arguments lose their substance. In our country, marriage is handled as a legal institution. It still has roots in religion, but it now has bearings that extend far beyond them. It’s no secret that marriages are more beneficial than civil unions: many federal institutions, such as social security and medical care, do not recognize civil unions as authentic.

While it isn’t explicitly inscribed in our Constitution, there is an implicit remark that every American knows: “separation between church and state.” Because marriage is a legal institution, there must be action to separate it from its religious roots. 

Some will see this action as negative, as backward-stepping, as “evil.” But for those who are now allowed to love their partner with the same authenticity that married couples have taken for granted, this action is beautiful. 

This isn’t finished. There will be dissenters and opposers every step of the way, and the discourse will continue to be bloated with Bible verses and scientific studies.

My suggestion? Listen to people, not paper. Ask a friend how they feel about the ruling. Ask any member of the LGBT community how this affects them. Try to keep an open mind and an open dialogue. We’re all people here. 

Here’s the kicker: if you and your significant other aren’t of the same sex and pursuing marriage, this event has little to no effect on your life. 

And if the apocalypse does come, remember that correlation doesn’t imply causality. It was probably coming anyway.