Review: ‘Daredevil’ is a dark, worthwhile addition to Marvel

Netflix show Daredevil
Provided
Netflix show ‘Daredevil’

Marvel has done it again. 

Released on April 10, Netflix’s “Daredevil” has already been confirmed for a second season, likely to be released spring of next year. 

It’s not very hard to see why when you reflect on the sheer action-packed, drama-filled continuation of the Marvel Universe that was season one.

A fan of all things Marvel, I decided to give the 13-episode season one a shot. I started watching Friday night, and by Sunday afternoon I finished. To clarify, the only reason I didn’t finish Friday night was because I wanted to make it last longer.

Each episode is an hour long and jam-packed with amazing writing and action. It’s much darker and more violent than anything in movies like “The Avengers” or “Iron Man,” but don’t let that deter you. It’s not violence for the sake of nothing. 

Each of the characters has their own unique storyline that’s multi-faceted and layered. The main character, Matt Murdock (aka “Daredevil”) lost his vision in an accident as a child, which left him with heightened senses. After being mentored by a similarly “gifted” man, known as “Stick,” Matt begins to use his skills to defend his city. 

But kicking villainous butt isn’t the only thing that Matt does. He’s also a lawyer with his college friend and roommate, Foggy Nelson. Foggy adds the humourous relief that the show desperately needs. Don’t let the goofiness fool you though; he too faces his own challenges.

The main villain, Wilson Fisk, is well, incredibly scary — the kind of scary that puts you on edge, ready for a body count anytime he’s on screen. And while this dominates many of the scenes, he also gets really interesting backstory and character flaws. 

By early in the season, Fisk is set up with an end goal that is actually admirable, if a bit ambitious. Fisk’s methods are what make him so unlikeable. At the same time, he has some emotional issues left over from childhood that he’s been forced to deal with, and you can’t help but feel for him just a little bit.

This is what makes Daredevil so good and different from older superhero movies. The bad guy isn’t quite bad, and likewise, Matt isn’t necessarily your typical hero. 

Matt has several humanizing factors to him, but most notably his reluctance to kill someone outright. While there were times when I wished he would just kill Fisk and get it over with, I appreciated his struggle between his moral codes and what would be easiest. 

Finally, for others like me with a sweet spot for the theme of, “the power of press,” the show invites you to examine our own media with a more critical lens. The idea that “Daredevil” raises is as follows, there are two sides to every story, and just because it’s printed or reported on the TV doesn’t mean it’s true. 

The press serves as a link between the general public and the “higher up,” but it doesn’t always do a great job of fairly representing both sides. “Daredevil” really examines this, albeit through extremes, but the message is still conveyed.

As for next season, “Daredevil’s” official Twitter warned fans that, “Fisk was just the beginning” and to be ready to see our sight-challenged hero back in action, facing new foes and enemies. 

“Daredevil” is another step in the right direction for the Marvel Universe, and all I could think Sunday night is how much I really wished I had another episode to watch. Season two being confirmed is a comfort, but let’s be honest — I’ll end up marathoning that season, too, and being in the same position this time next year.

Sam King is a communication freshman and assistant news editor for The Battalion.