Review: Imagine Dragons challenges itself in second album

In a music world of blatant sexual messages or songs reliant on a catchy chorus, Imagine Dragons continues to write narratives. The band’s second album, “Smoke + Mirrors,” hit shelves and iTunes early Tuesday morning.
I fell in love with Imagine Dragons from the moment I heard “It’s Time” on the way to school my junior year of high school. From then, I’ve listened to and bought most of their songs and seen them once in concert.
In a word, the new album is experimental. The first three songs test a new, more tribal style. “Gold” especially uses a distinctly uneven rhythm and accompanies the customary drums with heavier guitar chords. Even so, the album carries the intensity Imagine Dragons has had since its EP came out in 2010.
Like the first album, there aren’t a ton of songs that I could see becoming radio hits. “I Bet My Life,” which was released as a single back in December, “I’m So Sorry” and “Polaroid” all have the most potential. For casual fans, the album may come as a disappointment. It’s a bit all over the place. Ranging from heavier tones that echo “Radioactive” to songs with a lighter edge, there is no clear narrative to the album. But each song is a narrative on its own.
Outside of the experimentation, Imagine Dragons needs to be given some points for its nonconformity in today’s pop mainstream. The band has been producing music officially for five years, and so far I haven’t heard a song that falls outside its style or quirks. And the songs mean something. “I Bet My Life” is an ode to lead singer Dan Reynold’s parents. The band writes about struggles of life, of finding oneself. As college students, this message can resonate.