The Academy Awards: Picks for Best Picture

Photo by By Jacob Martindale
The Mad Short

“Mad Max: Fury Road”
“Mad Max: Fury Road” is a post-apocalyptic action film directed by George Miller and stars Tom Hardy and Charlize Theron as Max Rockatansky and Imperator Furiosa, respectively, as they travel across the wasteland desert in search of “the green place.” Nominated for 10 Academy Awards, including best film editing, best visual effects, best costume design and best picture, “Mad Max: Fury Road” has been lauded for reviving the intensity of action films and has serious potential to pick up awards.
George Miller’s expansive universe is filled with interesting characters and ideas, and the film’s use of overblown, saturated color is directly opposite to other post-apocalyptic films. And even though “Mad Max: Fury Road” is my favorite action film of last year, it doesn’t seem fit to win big.
In contrast to the other best picture nominees, “Mad Max: Fury Road” is deafeningly loud, rebellious, and the clear outlier of the group, meaning that a best picture win is almost out of the question, but given the speed and intensity of the film, a best film editing pickup seems likely, with best costume design and best makeup and hairstyling not far behind. Regardless, if you haven’t seen “Mad Max: Fury Road” yet, you’re missing out.
“The Big Short”
“The Big Short” is a biographical comedy-drama directed by Adam McKay and stars an ensemble cast including Ryan Gosling, Christian Bale and Steve Carell as Wall Street investors who discover and try to profit from the bursting of the U.S. housing bubble in 2008. Nominated for five Academy Awards including best actor in a supporting role, best adapted screenplay, best directing and best picture, “The Big Short” is a massive change of pace for director Adam McKay — known for his frequent collaborations with Will Ferrell — and has a very high chance of netting him both best picture and best director.
The film maintains a distinct directing style from the beginning, and uses a variety of celebrity-guest appearances to explain complicated Wall Street lingo. These decisions, alongside the film’s inter-weaving storylines, give Adam McKay the highest chance for a best director award of all the films nominated. 
Without a doubt my personal seed for best picture, “The Big Short” is a ghastly, enthralling tale about greed and corruption that is as hilarious as it is horrifying. If you can wrap your head around the film’s various concepts, it becomes an immensely satisfying and worthwhile picture. Don’t miss it.