The first draft of campus history

The Battalion prints daily Monday through Friday.

From day one in Aggieland, I was told, “From the outside looking in, you can’t understand it. And from the inside looking out, you can’t explain it.” Three years of interviewing Aggies later, I stand by this statement. I can’t explain the Aggie Spirit, but every day at The Batt, we try.

At The Batt, it’s our mission to preserve the Aggie Spirit as it’s showcased by our generation — to provide campus news and a space for honest discussion. 

Since 1893, Batt journalists have poured their hearts and souls into this mission. As a result, the archive of Batts in Cushing Library shows the first draft of A&M history from a uniquely student perspective. 

Through generations of student journalists, The Batt has showcased campus’ evolution. In 1964, men marched to the president’s house on campus to protest against the admission of women to Texas A&M. Fifty years later, I found myself interviewing some of these very men for an article on their Muster class reunion.

Like us, I imagine previous Batt staffs had their fair share of arguments trying to make the paper the best it can be. But above all, they strove to add value to campus. We take their history seriously — it is part of what sets the standard of quality for both our print edition and thebatt.com. 

Just as we owe it to the students before us who established this paper, we owe it to you, readers, to create the best possible paper. So hold us accountable. Interact with us on on social media and tell us what you think of this publication.

Likewise, bring your stories to us. We can’t fully tell campus’ story without your story. So if something is happening in your neck of Aggieland, let us know. And if you want to share insight on an issue, send a guest column to [email protected]

My most enriching experiences in college have been as a member of The Batt staff. If joining our family interests you, we are always looking for hardworking writers, photographers, videographers, artists and page designers. You don’t have to be an English major — there’s a place here for students passionate about business or science and technology — and you don’t need experience. You just need to be willing to do some honest work. Applications are always available in the newsroom, MSC L400.

No one can say they know what will happen this semester, but I’m excited to report on how this year’s students will shape the course of A&M history.

Aimee Breaux is an applied math senior and editor-in-chief of The Battalion.