‘The Sun is Also a Star’ explores every character’s perspective

Creative Commons

Nicola Yoon’s novel puts a spin on typical love stories with varying perspectives.

It takes a lot for me to enjoy a romance novel. The writing has to be great, the story can’t be cliche and I need to feel like I’m getting something out of it. Because of my prejudice, I was a little skeptical about reading “The Sun is Also a Star,” but Nicola Yoon hits all the right notes for me with her poetic writing and engaging characters, making the book much more than a standard star-crossed love story.
The whole novel takes place in the span of one day, but Yoon develops captivating characters without rushing their growth. The main characters of the story are Natasha, an undocumented Jamaican immigrant, and Daniel, a first generation Korean-American. The book is written mostly from the perspectives of Natasha and Daniel, who meet by chance — or fate — on the streets of New York City.
Each chapter tells the story from the character’s point of view, but the alternating chapters don’t simply lay out the story line by line. With each progressing chapter, the reader learns a little more about Natasha and Daniel’s individual backgrounds. At the beginning of the book, the reader knows that Daniel has an important admission interview at Yale and that Natasha’s family is being deported that night. As the story progresses, the characters reveal the family dynamics and personal situations that lead to the exact situation in which they find themselves at the beginning of the book.
In addition to chapters from the perspectives of Natasha and Daniel, Yoon writes brief chapters from the perspectives of passing characters that would otherwise be considered inconsequential, giving them their own story. She also gives herself a voice by including small chapters explaining the nuances of her characters. Her writing is dynamic and multidimensional, setting it apart from the stereotypical romance novel. Yoon makes it clear that the love story isn’t the only plotline in this book, and I appreciated the perspectives that gave the book depth.
Above all the other aspects of the book, Yoon’s writing is what kept me engaged until I finished reading. Her writing is poetic and lyrical. Her dialogue between characters with accents is realistic without being stereotypical. She makes her story plausible while remaining heart-wrenchingly romantic. Her characters have completely opposite personalities, but they don’t feel forced. And Yoon is a beautiful writer. Everything about a book can be developed and edited to be made better, but being able to write so fluidly is a gift. Yoon’s gift is on full display in this book.
Yoon’s characters make her book dynamic and engaging, while her interim chapters construct little connections and give the book depth that make her writing feel purposeful. Even if the storyline wasn’t so well fabricated, I would still recommend the book just for the sake of Yoon’s writing. “The Sun is Also a Star” is the perfect romance novel for a couple hours of escapism.
Lauren Slusher is a business honors junior and columnist for The Battalion