Top six horrifying Halloween Movies

Silence of the Lambs
Silence of the Lambs

6. “The Silence of the Lambs” (1991)

I don’t consider this movie to be classical horror, but it does make good use of horror elements. This film is a classic  in every sense of the word. From the director’s masterful use of background noise to create suspense to Anthony Hopkins’ legendary performance as pop culture’s most recognizable psychopath, “Silence of the Lambs” earns a spot on this list despite not being a purely horror film.

5. “The Shining” (1980)

Stanley Kubrick’s masterpiece is a quintessential horror movie. Charting its main character’s slow decline into homicidal madness, “The Shining” is one of the most influential horror films of all time. It’s not one of my favorite films, but its legendary status as a true classic earns it a spot on this list.

4. “The Exorcist” (1973)

I have to confess, I have not personally seen this movie. Its placement on this list was earned solely by its influence on the horror genre. This film defined horror. From its use of subliminal images of demons, to creepy sounds, to crafty use of film techniques, everything about this movie screams terror. “The Exorcist” is truly frightening film fit for any movie-lover’s Halloween.

3. “A Quiet Place” (2018)

This recent release starring John Krasinski is close to a modern horror masterpiece. The idea is simple: make a sound and the monsters will find you. The execution is beautiful. Both terrifying and emotional, the film creates a world in which noise means death. This movie is legitimately scary, but there’s so much more than straight horror. This film tells a family’s touching story of survival in a new and terrifying world.

2. “The Babadook” (2014)

Even thinking about this movie gives me the shivers. My personal favorite horror film of all time, “The Babadook” tells the story of a problem child and his widowed mother. It’s a story of resentment, hatred and grief. Almost the entire film focuses on just two characters, but it does so in such a way that leaves you feeling isolated, left alone with the monster under the bed. The movie is a study of childhood and innocence, and it details the mother’s terrifying spiral into depression and hatred for her own son by using supernatural elements as strong metaphors. This film is scary, not only because of the horrifying nature of the mostly unseen monster, but also because it’s clear that the real monster is the mother. This film brings profound meaning to its genre. If you’re only going to watch one film on this list, make it this one.

1. “Hereditary” 2018

This is by far the most utterly horrifying, tense, sweat-through-your-shirt scary movie that I’ve ever seen. The film relies heavily on the background of its shots, frequently hiding creepy images just out of focus. This film’s only real fault is its slow start. The first half of the movie fools you into thinking it’s a psychological drama, but it ends up being something completely different. The entire movie builds tension, it just builds and builds and never releases. Most horror movies will throw in the occasional jump-scare to release the tension and give audiences a chance to catch their breath, but not “Hereditary.” Once the movie gets going, it doesn’t stop. It suffocates you with tension and subtle creepiness until the very end. Not even the conclusion of the film released the tension. If you like horror movies, see this film. You’ll be more afraid than you ever have been in a movie before, I can guarantee it. Just don’t watch it at night.